synchronisation

Forum for discussing PicoLog
erica

synchronisation

Post by erica »

I am trying to synchronise my PICO ADC11/12 with another data collection system. I start my Pico and then I start my other data system at which time it sends a trigger pulse to a channel on my PICO. What is the delay time (if any) from the trigger on the input channel to it appearing on the screen. Is it reasonable to assume that it is instantaneous or at maximum a delay of 1 sampling period?

Erica

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your post ... the time period from the unit to the monitor with an ADC-11/12, is going to be PC dependent, and the data has to be returned via the parallel port. The ADC-11 is controlled via the windows clock and this will have some bearing on the transmission speed.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

erica

Post by erica »

I am running windows XP in fast block mode with no other applications running and the graph and spreadsheet are not opened. The sampling frequency is 1ms. How do I work out the delay for when the input on a channel changes to it being recorded in windows?

I have a parrallel to USB converter - will the delay be less if I use this ?

Thanx

Erica

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Even though you are using the USB to Parallel port adapter it will have similiar transmission speeds as the parallel port. You will not be able to calculate the time from the unit sampling and displaying the result on the screen in Picolog, to achive this you would need to write your own software.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer