strugling to take measure with picoscope3206A

Post your C and C++ discussions here
TMoabalobelo

strugling to take measure with picoscope3206A

Post by TMoabalobelo »

hi,

I just bought a picoscope3206A, but now im faced with a problem of taking measurements. When I test if the probe is working by puting my finger on it, it show a noise signal on the software. When I try to take actual measurements (an output signal from an atmega168 microcontroller) from a circuit it is just not showing anything, no sign of it taking any measurements. Please help, i have been trying for days on end now. :?

Your assistance in this regard will be highly appreciated.

regards

Hitesh

Re: strugling to take measure with picoscope3206A

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Have you tried putting a mulitmeter on the output of the controller to confirm that it is providing an output?

Regards,

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

hi,

I'm trying to measure the power consumption of the microcontroller while it is performing some operaions and i'm taking the power consumption signal measurements by inserting a shunt resistor(1ohms) between the ground line of the power supply of the microcontroller. So at the moment I'm not getting anything from the oscilloscope (picoscope3206A).

your help in this regard will be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Could you please send a picture of your setup and an accompanying circuit diagram/schematic as well? Also, please send the PicoScope settings file.

If you do not want to post it on this thread please send it in to support@picotech.com

Thanks,

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

hi,
I just emailed the files you requested.

thanks

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. it seems that the scope is measuring something for the circuirt. but i'm struggling to trigger the scope to measure the voltage drop, when the micontroller start to executer some AES code, as i'm recieving a lot of noise. So i suspect that if I can remove the noise then I'll able to identify the power consumption traces from the microcontroller. Would please advice on that?
I have attached some of the power traces.

Thank you in advance

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Could you please attach your power traces?

Within PicoScope, could you enable the low-pass filter on the channel to try and remove some of the noise?
Low-pass filter option.
Low-pass filter option.
You may need to adjust the frequency threshold.

I hope this helps.

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

Hi,

Im finaly geting some data from the oscilloscope, however I'm struggling with the triggering of the scope.
I'm sending a sinusoudal signal to channel A of the oscilloscope, my trigger setting seem not to be working.

I have attached a picture of the measurement. Would you please assist.

Thanks
Attachments
20120110-0002_02.gif

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Could you please send a screenshot of the whole PicoScope6 window?

Also, please send in the following information:
  • PicoScope version
  • Trigger settings - type, channel, rising/falling, trigger level
There is a known issue with the latest dll for the PicoScope 3000a series oscilloscopes in relation to triggering which has been fixed - we are now waiting for it to be formally released.

Regards,

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

Hi,
find attached the full screenshot.
picoScope version 3206A

Trigger settings:
Type - Repeat
Channel - B
Triggers on the rising edge
Trigger level - 2.019V

regards
Attachments
Untitled2.png

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

hi
PicoScope software version 6

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Thanks for the screenshot.

It does appear that your trigger is working as the sine wave is passing through the trigger point.

Can I ask what you are expecting to measure/expecting to happen on the display when the device triggers?

What does Channel A relate to in your setup?

Thanks,

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

Hi,
Thanks for for replying. I"m actually trying to measure the power consumption of an Atmega168 microcontroller as it perfoms some computations, so i'm meaasuring through channel A on the ground line of the power supply of the microcontroller. I'm expecting the oscilloscope to be riggered as soon as it recieves the sine wave on channel B and it should immediately start captureing the power comsunption while the microcontoller is perfroming encryption/decryption operations.

Well the screenshot that I sent you is one of the a few that I have captured. The other thing is im faced with a challenge of indentifying between noise and the actual data.

thanks again.

regards

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Both waveforms should be captured in each window that is stored in the buffer with/without a trigger. Are you saving to file on trigger?

This video provides a guide on how to do this: http://www.picoscope.tv/general/save-on-trigger.html

Also, to reduce the noise, try using the Resolution Enhancement feature in PicoScope:
Resolution enhancement feature in Channel setup.
Resolution enhancement feature in Channel setup.
There is a guide in the help file you can read by clicking on the link in the pane.

Hope this helps.

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

Hi,

I am trying to compute an average signal for a number of measured signals using the PicoScope?

Thanks