PicoScope 3423 USB 2.0 connection problem

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Smileface

PicoScope 3423 USB 2.0 connection problem

Post by Smileface »

Hello!

I'm having a 3423 Scope and when I plug it in a PC with USB 2.0, it tells me the "USB can perform faster..." message. If I plug an other USB device in it, its all OK.
What could be the problem?

Regards

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoScope 3423 USB 2.0 connection problem

Post by Martyn »

It would depend upon the exact message, where you are plugging the device into, if you are using a hub, the type of cable you are using to connect the 3423 to the PC, what O/S you are using etc ........

A google on the web gives many possible suggestions for issues.

The 3423 is a USB 2.0 device and it is recommended that it runs as such.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Smileface

Post by Smileface »

Hy!

Thanks your reply!
I'm using a HP notebook, plugging direct into it's USB 2.0 port. The OS is Win XP SP2. I tried 4-5 different USB cable and the same result. I have a Fujitsu PC too, but exatly the same message:
"The USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a High SpeedUSB 2.0 port"
I think the USB 2.0 is working on twice computer, because when I plug in them for example an USB 2.0 pendrive, it works fine.

I am searching the web, but I didn't find anything yet.

Rgrds

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The message is telling you that the Picoscope will work better if plugged into a USB2.0 capable port. Even though you may have hardware capable of USB2.0 it doesn't mean they are running at the higher speed. You need to be looking at the drivers for your USB ports to ensure that everything is setup correctly.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Smileface

Post by Smileface »

Hello!

Thanks your reply!

You're right, but I installed the latest driver, and now it is OK, I think, because I can use the USB 2.0 speed with a pendrive for example. I plug it (pendrive) and works on USB 2.0. Even only the Picoscope.

Regards

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
This message you get can be ignored. It is a legacy from the past. Our older scopes used to initialise first at USB 1.1 speeds and then. if available, at USB 2.0. The message was generated automatically by Windows during this process. Later scopes connect directly at USB 2.0 and the message is not generated. Your scope will be working at USB 2.0 speeds with a USB 2.0 port regardless of the message. The message can be turned off but only by a firmware change back at the factory but it makes no difference to the operation of the scope apart form the message.
Regards,
PeterF.

Smileface

Post by Smileface »

Hi!

Thanks your request!

OK, then I"ll use it with this firmware.

Regards