DC Current vs. Time

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Russ T

DC Current vs. Time

Post by Russ T »

Hi,

We need to get plots of time vs. electrical current (up to 30 amps) for complete cycles of automotive sunroofs. The information would be used to pinpoint specific places in the cycle where the drive motor is encountering resistances, causing it to work harder (and therefore the vehicle's electrical system to supply more power). We need to be able to save the graph, and to be able to email it to colleagues who would also be able to view it. Which PC oscilloscope would be best for this? Thanks.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

The oscilloscope that I would recommend is the ADC-212/3. This is the unit that is provided as part of the automotive diagnostic kit. To see the specification please follow this link:

http://www.picotech.com/digital_oscilloscope.html

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Russ T

Equipment Specifics

Post by Russ T »

Thanks for the info Mark. After more research on Pico's website, I believe the minimum equipment I would need would be an ADC-212/3 oscilloscope, a PP218 current clamp (plugs into the ADC-212/3), and a USB Parallel Port coverter, and the software that comes with the ADC-212/3. Does this sound correct?

Also, do colleagues in other countries need to have Pico software on their computers to view data and waveforms I email to them? Thanks again.

Regards,
Russ T

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

What you have sugfgested sounds correct, however you will also need a TA000 test lead to connect the 60A AC/DC current clamp to the ADC-212/3.

Every one whom want to view the .psd files will also require Picoscope or Picolog if you are going to use the logging software. This is freely available for download, so there should be no problem with other people viewing your data.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Russ T

Post by Russ T »

Thanks again Mark. While awaiting your reply to my last post I read a post between Amsterdam & Autonerdz in the Pre-Sales Advise forum. What I think I get from it is that a bigger buffer size allows the capture of a longer time trace with better resolution. Since we are working with automotive sunroofs which have an overall cycle time of up to 20 seconds or so, would I be better to get a 212/50 scope?

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for the additional infromation, you certainly will get a bigger buffer on the ADC-212/50, 128,000 sample capacity.

When using Picolog in Fast block mode you will be able to achive the 20 seconds, but to do this you will only be able to sample at 164 microsceond intervals.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Carl Grotti
Active User
Active User

Post by Carl Grotti »

Hi Russ,

The 212/3 is more than enough scope for sunroofs. You will have no problem with a sweep speed of 20 seconds. I have many single shot captures of window motors, blower motors, windshield wiper motors etc. Dropouts caused by high resistance between the commutator bars and brush contact area are very easily seen at 2s/div.

Regards,
Carl

Russ T

Post by Russ T »

Carl,
Thanks very much for relating your experience with similar applications.

Mark,
Thanks again for you help. We will be purchasing the PICO equipment.

Regards,
Russ