AC Voltage Display

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
B. Sager

AC Voltage Display

Post by B. Sager »

Hi

I want to use my ADC212-50 for an RMS AC voltage measurement(50Hz).
How can I display the voltage in an curve (i.e. 0.5s / div) and not only in digits?

many thanks for help

B. Sager

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

To display the RMS voltage as a trace use the Scope viewer.

Connect the signal to the BNC connector of the unit, activate the channel. You should then see a trace displayed on the Scope viewer. Select the timebase that you want 500ms/div. If using a probe that is not x1, select the probe multiplier:

Settings | Probes

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Post by Guest »

Hi

Thank You for answer

With the scope viewer and 5ms/div timebase I get the 50Hz curve as usual. In the Measurement list I can choose "AC Voltage Whole trace" and get the AC Voltige in the scope window. I think this is the calculated true RMS Voltage (not average ?). By reducing the time base to 500ms/div
or less I naturally get an unstable curve that can not be well interpreted.

How can I display the AC Voltage movement in an curve with picoscope software ? I think it is not an good solution to use an analog RMS to DC converter in front of the ADC when the software can do the job more accurately.

many thanks for your help

B. Sager

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for the additional information.

If you are unable to get a stable or accurate scope trace at 500ms/div this is due to the sampling rate being used. The sample rate the unit uses and the timebase in the software are not the same.

The software selects the best sample rate achiveable to get the maximum number of samples that you have in:

Settings | Options | Advanced.

You could try reducing this number of samples as default 2500 samples are set as the maximum.

If you wish to choose the sample rate yourself, and to collect a precise number of samples it would be achievable in Picolog, running 'Fast Block' mode.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer