DrDaq - Aquarium management

Which product is right for your exact requirements
nicfirth

DrDaq - Aquarium management

Post by nicfirth »

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a kit of parts for an aquarium monitoring and control system and the DrDAQ looks the ideal input device.

I assume that the example programs would give me the information to read the device directly, so I can write my own software to monitor and ultimatly control via which ever control system I eventually choose.

Is anyone already doing this? I am wondering if there might be a chance of getting some interest going with other aquarists and perhaps some open source development around the DrDAQ and maybe an X-10 control module.

Another useful parameter would be ORP (Redox) and I wonder if anyone has adapted a standard OPR probe for connection to one of the external sensor sockets? If so how or if anyone has a link explaining how they are wired up and what the output range is I would be most grateful.

Kind regards

Nic

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

The example programs are very simple but do show you how to control data aquisition using the DRDAQ. You are able to use the DRDAQ drivers to control the on broad sensor directly, the external sensors will still require a scaling file, as explained in the help manual.

Unfortunately, I an unable to advise on the other questions, and will leave that to the aquarists.

I wish you luck in this project and hop that others are able to assist.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply.

Initially I will concentrate on the monitoring side of things and so far I've had little response from others, although one guy who has written his own monitoring/control software had offered to adapt it if I can get the redox probe connected :)

Research leads me to believe that the redox probe produces a voltage output in the region of 0 to 1000mV, for my purposes it only needs to read upto a maximum of 600mv with a resolution of 5mV. The probes usually have a BNC conector so building an interface for one of the external sensor ports should be simple.

The materials used in the sensor can require a calibration offset, and over time there can be a drift requiring adjustment to the offset, but that shouldn't be difficult.

All in all its looking good and once I get the ball rolling I'm sure I'll get more interest and assistance from others.

Cheers
Nic

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thanks for the update, hope everything goes well.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer