using Visual studio to access a DrDaq (usb) on Windows 7

Having problems ? let us know the details here
AlanVB

using Visual studio to access a DrDaq (usb) on Windows 7

Post by AlanVB »

Hi,

I'm trying to access a USB DrDaq from my Windows 7 m/c using Visual Studio 2010 professional.

I can access the unit from Excel (office 2010) but I wish to write an application that will access the unit in Visual studio 2010.

As far as I can see there is no available component that can be referenced from Visual Studio. Have I missed something or don't you support that type of access?

I can get some response if I use the old mechanism of declaring library functions though these need modification from the vb6 examples because VB.net has different ideas about what a long and an integer are.

Code: Select all

Private Declare Function UsbDrDaqOpenUnit Lib "USBDrDAQ.dll" (ByRef handle As Int16) As Int32
    Private Declare Function UsbDrDaqCloseUnit Lib "USBDrDAQ.dll" (ByVal handle As Int16) As Int32
    Private Declare Function UsbDrDaqSetInterval Lib "USBDrDAQ.dll" (ByVal handle As Int16, ByRef us_for_block As Int32, ByVal ideal_no_of_samples As Int32, ByRef channels As Int32, ByVal no_of_channels As Int16) As Int32
    Private Declare Function UsbDrDaqRun Lib "USBDrDAQ.dll" (ByVal handle As Int16, ByVal no_of_values As Int32, ByVal method As Int32) As Int32
    Private Declare Function UsbDrDaqGetValues Lib "USBDrDAQ.dll" (ByVal handle As Int16, ByRef values As Int16, ByRef noOfValues As Int32, ByRef overflow As Int16, ByRef triggerIndex As Int32) As Int32
    Private Declare Function UsbDrDaqReady Lib "USBDrDAQ.dll" (ByVal handle As Int16, ByRef ready As Int16) As Int32
    Private Declare Function UsbDrDaqGetUnitInfo Lib "USBDrDAQ.dll" (ByVal handle As Int16, ByVal S As String, ByVal stringLength As Int16, ByRef requiredSize As Int16, ByVal info As Int32) As Int32
However even though the call to these library functions is accepted a code sequence such as:

Private Sub Container_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

Dim Handle As Int16
        Dim status As Integer = UsbDrDaqOpenUnit(Handle)
        Dim requiredSize As Integer
        Dim SLegnth As Integer
        Dim S As String = Space(255)

If status <> 0 Then
            MsgBox("Unit not opened", vbOKOnly, "Error Message")
            Exit Sub
        End If

End Sub

Will always return the error message (the status returned is 3) after about 20 seconds. The led on the DrDaq has by this time started flashing..

Can anyone explain what is wrong with the above?

Oh and the DrDaq invariably then locks up and the only way to reset it is to restart the entire system.

Alan

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: using Visual studio to access a DrDaq (usb) on Windows 7

Post by Chris »

With the DrDAQ device connected to the PC, have a look in device manager to see if the Pico USB DrDAQ is listed (under Pico Technology Instruments)

If it's not, run the installer, DPInst.exe installer, from the winusb folder of the SDK.

Choose the exe from the x86 folder for 32 bit operating systems, or the exe from the amd64 folder for 64 bit operating systems. (Irrespective of the processor type)

AlanVB

Post by AlanVB »

I've managed to get some of the basic functions working now (I'm not sure why - it seemed to be a function of removing the device physically and reconnecting it after a machine restart).

I'm now having problems with some of the functions - in particular:

The function USBDRDAQGetChannelInfo doesn't seem to exist in the library (at least that's what the development environment tells me). The spec says it's there but none of the examples shows it's use - does it exist?

The definition I'm using is

Private Declare Function USBDRDAQGetChannelInfo Lib "USBDrDAQ.dll" (ByVal handle As Int16, ByRef Min As Single, ByRef Max As Int16, ByRef Places As Int16, ByRef Divider As Int16, ByVal Channel As Int16) As Int32
If the function does exist is this declaration correct?

Also when using the UsbDrDaqGetScalings function on channel 8 (onboard temperature) the return is just

Temperature:°C
The documentation led me to expect something starting

[Scale100]
Resistor=1
LongName=Temperature
ShortName-Temp
Units=C
Can you explain what I should be getting and how to interpret it?

Thanks

Alan

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Chris »

Hi Alan

The programmers guide should list all routines as
UsbDrDaq.......
not
USBDRDAQ
so
USBDRDAQGetChannelInfo
should be
UsbDrDaqGetChannelInfo

If you implement a *.dds file, and put it in the same location as the dll, you can get custom information from the UsbDrDaqGetScalings call.

An example for the Thermistor would be a dds file consisting of ....

[Scale1]
Resistor=1100
LongName=MyTemp
ShortName=TempF
Units=F
MinValue=-10
MaxValue=100
OutOfRange=1
Places=2
Method=1
Offset=10
Slope=1.1

Note: The ShortName field information isn't returned.

Chris.

AlanVB

Post by AlanVB »

Thanks Chris

That works now - I assume you'll get the documentation updated at some point.

It would be good it you could include somewhere the VB.Net Declare statements too it's quite confusing if you're not aware of the history.

Thanks again

Alan

PicoMike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by PicoMike »

I'll ensure these changes are made to the documentation, and the updated document uploaded to the web as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike
Pico Technology

PicoMike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by PicoMike »

Hi,

Updated Programmer's Guide now on the web.

Please visit http://www.picotech.com/document/pdf/us ... g_en-2.pdf to open the PDF,

Thanks,

Mike
Mike
Pico Technology