Coverting from parallel to USB version

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
Linners

Post by Linners »

Hi,
I have used some software for the past year or so that uses the DrDaq unit as a light gate timer. However, the latest laptop adopted by the school doen't have a parallel port so I have got hold of a USB-parallel device from Pico. In my original software I put in the following code
port = 1
Do 'While opened = False
opened = drdaq_open_unit(port) <> 0 'Open drdaq driver
port = port + 1
If port > 110 Then
MsgBox ("Sorry I can't detect a DrDaq unit on the computer. Check connections and try again.")
cmdClose_Click
End
Exit Do
End If
Loop While opened = False
port = port - 1
to check what port the unit was connected to but it now reports that there is no DrDaq unit connected. I thought that the only difference I would have to do was this port number. Am I missing something? The Picoscope finds the unit OK. I have copied the updated DrDaq32DLL from the picoscope directory to my progs (it reports as 86432 bytes).

I would appreciate some pointers.

Regards

Linners

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem.

The simpliest method would be to see what the USB-PP number is registered in you Device manager, if you only have one usb to parallel port device connected it will usually be registered as USB-PP1, when trying to open it through the driver it is opened via 101 for this port number. In your software I would advise trying this port three times and then bailing out, it can take a few seconds for the USB to Parallel port device to enumerate.

Code: Select all

count =0
port = 101 
Do 'While opened = False 
opened = drdaq_open_unit(port) <> 0 'Open drdaq driver 
count = count + 1 
If count > 3 and port = False Then 
   MsgBox ("Sorry I can't detect a DrDaq unit on the computer. Check  connections and try again.") 
cmdClose_Click 
I hope this is of some use.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Linners

Post by Linners »

Mark,
What would I do without your wisdom. Kicking the unit twice has done it for me.

Incidentally I have written this code to use some 'home made' light gates using IR transmitter and IR transistor with some microbore copper piping to house the leads. I can send you some photos and the software if you want.

regards

Mike

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, but at this time we are not looking for new experiements.

Glad to hear that solution worked for you.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer