Recording Method Confusion ADC24 Matlab/PicoLog

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
schor

Recording Method Confusion ADC24 Matlab/PicoLog

Post by schor »

Hi there,

I am really confused now about which recording method would be the best for my application. So far I've logged successfully a sensor device at an conversion time of 100 mS using the 'real-time-continuous' recording method in PicoLog. Now, I want to implement this into Matlab Code. The programmer's guide mentions three methods:
'Streaming'
'Single Value (blocking)'
'Single Value (non-blocking)'

So which of these methods is equivalent to the 'real-time-continuous' option in PicoLab?

I've played around successfully in Matlab with the BM_Stream Option of HRDLRun, however, it needs a lot of ressources (100 % CPU) and the access LED on the Logger tells me that it polls the device in a different way (=more often) than the 'real-time-continuous' option of Pico log does.

Can any expert please tell me which option to use for continuous logging (e.g. 100 mS intervalls at conversion times of 100 mS)? Furthermore, what's the exact difference between 'Single Value (blocking)' and
'Single Value (non-blocking)'? Should I use any of these instead?

Many thanks in advance, Georg

Chris
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recording Method Confusion ADC24 Matlab/PicoLog

Post by Chris »

PicoLog uses different functions to implement its recording methods, depending upon the parameters that are set for the device.

What you want to achieve could be accomplished using any of the 3 recording methods available.

Using the streaming method will give the most accurate time resolution, as it will use the ADC device's on-board timing.

Using the Single Value (non-blocking) method will use less CPU time, but you will implement the sample interval on the PC, via your code, so this could be less accurate.

Note: the sample interval needs to be greater than the conversion time x the number of channels in use.