Picolog UI overhaul

Forum for discussing PicoLog
nattrill

Picolog UI overhaul

Post by nattrill »

I was wondering if there were any plans to completely overhall the picolog user interface? I believe it is about time now as the current UI looks like it was designed for windows 3.1, and hasn't changed much since.

In this day and age I shouldn't have to open so many windows to get to the options/preferences, they should be tabbed. The setup for each channel should be easier, I want to be able to setup multiple channels at once, with the same parameter/scaling settings, and then easily review them. I should also be able to just hit 'find devices' instead of adding them myself.

If you want a good example of modern datalog software, try Agilents benchlink 3 (I know they cost 3 times as much as a picolog, but still). Basically I think it's a shame that while the dataloggers themselves continue to get better, with more channels and features, the logging software has not kept up.

olepagh
User
User

Re: Picolog UI overhaul

Post by olepagh »

You are so right!

I've been using PicoLog since DOS days, and as far as I remember, the first Win version of PicoLog was a DOS version with a GUI.
Only recently the "DOS" fonts was replaced with some more modern fonts in the Spreadsheet and Logger view.

The PicoLog software needs renewal instead of just patching.
/ Best regards
Ole
Denmark

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alan »

Thanks for the comments. In our view PicoLog remains a powerful and flexible data logging software package.

I do accept that the user interface could do with an overhaul for a more modern look and feel. It is on our "to do" list and the only reason it has not been done is that we do not have enough software developers at the moment.

At the risk of turning this thread into a job advert we are ALWAYS looking recruiting talented software engineers with C++ / C# experience for work in our UK offices. More details at http://pico.jobs/

omegafold

Post by omegafold »

I have windows7 now and the latest pico log, well I don't know how to assign a port so I can't log anything. Computers are not my usual area of expertise, just some programming.

Also I think they should use flash for loggers, it would enable the use of 3d apps to be plugged into that. I sometimes like to analyze algorithms using this for desconstructing cyphers I can pick up from foreign military satellites , esp. earth viewing telescopes in space.. Anyone can program flash real easy, so modifying pico's flash based logger would be a cinch. You can actually hook up the pico 2203 like mine to a dish and see all kinds of neat things in space.

omegafold

Post by omegafold »

Okay nevermind about the port.. I hadn't checked 'use for other devices' so it was looking for pico2000 not the 2203 I suppose.