Installing own software under Windows 2000

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
C J T

Installing own software under Windows 2000

Post by C J T »

For the last 12 months I have been using a software program that uses the ADC10032.DLL as a link to the ADC100 unit. This program is written in Delphi 3 and the DLL is stored in the same directory as the program itself. This runs prefectly under both Windows 95 and 98.

The problem is that I need it to run, on its own, also in Windows 2000.

This it will do, but only if I install PICOSCOPE etc first. If I remove PICOSCOPE etc my program no longer sees the ADC10032.DLL and I get the 'Unable to open ADC100 unit' warning. Both DLL's are the same date stamp therefore if it works with PICOSCOPE it should be OK for my program.

Does the PICO software write anything to the registry or any system files in order for the DLL to be recognised?.

Please any ideas as to why this is happening?

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

If you want to run your application on a Windows 2000 OS, without installing Picoscope, then you will have to install the system file and register it yourself. The system file is:

Log on as administrator

pico.sys

and goes in

c:\windows\system32\driver

Once you have done this check that RegDrive.exe is in your pico directory and in the command prompt, change to the Pico directory and then type:

regdrive pico

Once it has finished re-boot your PC.

This system file should now be registered. You can check this by the following:

1. Log on as administrator

2. Press the Start button in the bottom left corner

3. Select Settings

4. Select Control Panel

5. Select the Devices icon

6. Check that the device driver is present and started PICO for other products.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

C J T

Installing under WINDOWS 2000 part 2

Post by C J T »

Hi

Thanks for your reply regarding using the ADC10032.DLL under Windows 2000 PRO.

Just a couple of queries:

1, Do you have to install Regdrive.exe into a directory called 'PICO' in order for it to work?. I have tried to register it from my own directory, namely 'C:\Program Files\RE', but no joy. (Pico.sys has been installed in the WINNT\SYSTEM 32\DRIVERS directory as required)

2, I cannot check if the device is installed because I do not appear to have a 'Devices' icon in my control panel should this appear under System\Devices Manager?.

All this is done whilst logged on as Administrator.

Many thanks

Chris (CJT)

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

There is no reason that it should not execute in any folder, so long as regdrive.exe is in that folder.

To find out if the driver is registered and started on 2000 follow this:

Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | System Information | Software Enviroment | Drivers

Look for the driver called Pico.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer