Need a Datalogger

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Need a Datalogger

Post by Guest »

Hi, I'm doing a senior project right now and am in need of some sort of a data logger to measure the results of an accelerometer attached to a rotating flywheel. The flywheel rotates at 300 rpm and we would like to measure the deceleration due energy loss during a cutting type of action.

If possible, we would like to measure one, or more, specific impacts to analyze the energy lost in the system. The problem we're having is that all of the dataloggers that we have found don't have a sufficient sampling rate to do this. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your interest into our products.

If you could provide me with further details:

Max sample rate you want?

Period of time you need to log for?

Time interval between samples?

Number of channels?

Voltage range?

Any other facts that will be needed to advise on a product. I will then try to guide to to possible units.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Post by Guest »

Hi, thanks for the quick reponse.

We're recording data from only one accelerometer, so only one channel would do for us.

We need a sample rate of 10+ kHz.

The device we're measuring is a rotating flywheel rotating at 410 rpm. We'd like to measure the acceleration due to an impact on the flywheel on each rotation. However, we would only need data from a few rotations, so a continuous sampling would be nice for just a few seconds.

We need to pick up a signal produced by an accelerometer, preferably without amplification. However, we're not opposed to using an amplifier if we must, its just one more expense though.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for the additional information.

The unit I would reccommed that you look at is the ADC212/3, this has two channels and voltage gains starting at 10mV upto 20V.

The unit has a buffer size of 32000 samples, which is available to one channel, or 16000 samples for each channel. Therefore at your proposed sample rate you could save just under 1.6 seconds of data.

The full specs can be found here:

http://www.picotech.com/digital_oscilloscope.html

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer