picoscope on an ibm t41

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
anand

picoscope on an ibm t41

Post by anand »

Hi, i have just installed my 3423 scope on an ibm t41 Pentium M 1.7 GHz with 512MB. (1sec/div and +- 20 v) While scoping rear indicator the wave pattren up to 5 seconds is fine then it freezes and speeds up (running without power supply). this happens on every screen. I use to use the scope on my old Vaio pcg-k35 with an older version pico software.

Is this a problem with my Ibm or with the software.

Thank you

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: picoscope on an ibm t41

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
To help I will need to have more of a description of what is actually happening on your scope. I do not understand what you mean by "freezing & speeding up". Also, what version of the software are you using?
Regards,
PeterF.

anand

Post by anand »

Thank you for your reply, i am using the software version that is available on your site now. I was scoping the rear indicator 1 sec/div. the first five seconds of the wave form has normal movement (flow). at 5 second the pattern freezes (does not move, being paused) after one second the pattern speeds up trying to catch up to where it should be. this repeats for every screen shot.

Hope this explains things a little better

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Autonerdz »

anand,

We have seen this.

First of all, you need more RAM in your PC. 512 is not enough capacity for streaming mode loads with all channels running and samples turned up. Your PC will run out of RAM and start grabbing pagefile and this makes it slow way down.

However, this may not be related to this issue. I have seen it on PCs with plenty of RAM but not on others. We are working to identify the issue.

Have you seen any data gaps in your captures?

For now, max that PC out on RAM. You need it anyway. See if that helps.

THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

anand

Post by anand »

I am getting another T41 tomorrow with 1GB ram which i will also run my pico from. However my viao had "Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor
532 (3.06GHz1, 1MB L2 Cache) and 512 MB memory" would the processor cause this problem.

"Data Gaps" What do you mean by that? When the pattern satrts moving after the freeze it continues as normal (just quicker)

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Autonerdz »

anand,

Just asked about data gaps to see if this might be related to another couple of isolated issues we had seen. If you had that issue you would not be asking what I meant. :)

No, I do not think the processor is an issue. One Gig RAM should be OK. More is always better though. 8)

In streaming modes PicoScope can be quite RAM intensive. You can monitor this in your Task Manager performance tab. RAM depletion can cause the issue you describe.

THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

anand

Post by anand »

Thanks a lot. I will post back once i have tried it with 1Gb.

anand

Post by anand »

Hi all. I have just used the scope with 1GB memory and its is running smoothly. I thought i noticed an initial lag but i'll keep playing and see what happens.

Thanks a lot