Obtaining data over the lan from remote RH02 and ADC11

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
nickjoy

Obtaining data over the lan from remote RH02 and ADC11

Post by nickjoy »

When I look at the Diagram in labview for the RH02 or ADC11 it askes for the Port number (lpt or Com one assumes).
However, I have 5 remote RH02 that I address on a lan using Picolog.
How can I obtain their inputs with labview?
Thanks.
Nick.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Unfortunately, I am unable to advise how to do this with labview. The drivers only access a unit on a PC that it is connected to via the Com or Parallel port.

To use the RH-02 across a LAN you will need to use a client/server method of operation. Therefore, you will need 2 programs one running on each machine able to communicate with each other. This is beyond the support we can provide.

Perhaps someone else on the forum can provide details about doing this with labview.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Client Server In Labview

Post by Guest »

There are lots of ways to achieve this in Labview and each one has different benefits:-

A clearer objective of the requirement will assist in choosing the optimum route.

In principle the answer is as follows: -

1) Under Windows 2K for example, you could could write the results on the remote P.C via a local Labview application to a flat text file formated as an XML prepared HTML file then use the WEB server in Windows 2K to distribute the results.
i) This promotes seperation between data provision and retrieval.
ii) Is simple to implement using text files.
iii) Is Low cost because you don't need anything but time.
iv) As it uses the web port 80 it does not give security issues on a network.

Pick-up the results from the remote machine using a second application to read the HTTP port (80). In fact you can test this using the TELNET program in Windows 2K and often in UNIX and there are loads of code / examples on mini-TELENT around for implementation and testing.

2) Write a fully fledged Client Server TCP/IP application under Labview.
See 'Data Client' example in Labview.
i) You have a work-up to understand this.
ii) It's pretty specific and tricky to test.
iii) It is a Labview only solution.
iv) You could have security issues on a well managed larger network if you use non-standard TCP/IP ports. You can forget it through a firewall if you don't get it right.

This is the help text on the appropriate example
Data Client.vi displays data sent via TCP from Data Server. Once a TCP connection is open, the VI reads 4 bytes to determine the amount of data being sent. It then reads and charts that many bytes.
If all this network talk is 'Greek' then you need to start learning about networks and protocols... and this is not the right place for that discussion.

Good Luck