Silent Driver Installation - TC08 USB

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
liber
User
User

Silent Driver Installation - TC08 USB

Post by liber »

Hello!

We use TC08 USB as an OEM part in a larger system controlled by our own software. Therefore a question: is it possible to install just the driver for TC08 USB without installing PicoLog? Ideally, we would prefer completely "silent" installation. It is also acceptable to go through "New Hardware Found" dialog and have drivers (INF file) in the root folder of the installer CD.

It is important for us to bypass dialogs that let the user select the type of module etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sergey

markB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markB »

It is possible to do a silent install using our installer but it would mean that you would need a ~27MB installer to deploy only ~340kB of files.

You only require three files to deploy the drivers yourself:
  • 1) in your application directory: usbtc08.dll
    2) C:\windows\system32\drivers\picopp.sys
    3) C:\windows\inf\picopp.inf
If you are planning to use an MSI installer, you can use c:\windows\inf\picopp.cat for a DIFxApp driver install.
Regards

Mark

liber
User
User

Post by liber »

Mark,

This info is exactly what I was looking for! I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot!

Sergey L

liber
User
User

Re:

Post by liber »

[quote="markB"]It is possible to do a silent install using our installer but it would mean that you would need a ~27MB installer to deploy only ~340kB of files.

You only require three files to deploy the drivers yourself:
[list]1) in your application directory: usbtc08.dll
2) C:\windows\system32\drivers\picopp.sys
3) C:\windows\inf\picopp.inf[/list]

If you are planning to use an MSI installer, you can use c:\windows\inf\picopp.cat for a DIFxApp driver install.[/quote]

This procedure does not seem to work on Win 7 64-it. Can I perform a silent install on this OS?

Thanks,

Sergey L

markB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Silent Driver Installation - TC08 USB

Post by markB »

You can perform a silent install on x64 but you will require a different driver package. If you install PicoScope onto a x64 system, you will find a folder called 'system' in the installation directory. This folder contains all the files required for the x64 driver package.

Hope this helps
Regards

Mark

liber
User
User

Post by liber »

Thanks Mark, it worked for me. I have another question though:

When I distribute my application, I don't know whether the end user will be installing it on a 32-bit or 64-bit machine. I guess I can add a batch file to my installer that will either add picopp.inf and picopp.sys files to desired folders (for 32-bit machines) or will run 64-bit DPInst.exe (for 64-bit machines). Still, I wanted to ask you if you know of an easier way to install appropriate drivers for each version of Windows.

Thanks,

Sergey

markB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markB »

You are not really supposed to distribute 32 and 64 bit drivers in the same package but we do. It makes the user experience much simpler.

The way I do it is to have the two separate driver package conditionally installed depending on the arch. There will always be a DPInst in the system directory and your installer would have already made sure you have the correct one.
Regards

Mark