Installer & program enhancement request

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
BrianK

Installer & program enhancement request

Post by BrianK »

When installing PicoScope 6 there are several very long delays where nothing is apparently happening but what's actually happening is the installer mindlessly banging away in the background, attempting to connect to CRL.VERISIGN.NET.

This being Windows, I allow only LAN access and block any attempted WAN access - which is effectively the same thing as having no WAN connection from the installer's viewpoint.

Please add some intelligence and check for WAN access first, instead of just assuming it's available and "going to sleep" when it isn't.
Also; why is access to CRL.VERISIGN.NET required?

PicoScope application:
When starting a Windows application it's conventional to provide some indication of activity if the application is expected to experience some delay before it becomes obvious to the user that it's running. In other words, the hourglass cursor.

While PicoScope is sorting out its USB connection to the 'scope it's not obvious that something is happening and once again, gives the impression that it's "gone to sleep".

(P4 3.02GHz, 4GB RAM, WinXP Pro, 3206 oscilloscope)

Thanks.
To err is human; to moo, bovine.

markB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Installer & program enhancement request

Post by markB »

Hi Brian

Thanks for you comments.
  • The installer attempts to connect to CRL.VERISIGN.NET to verify the digital signature. The signature is applied so that windows can be satisfied that the software has not changed between Pico uploading it and you downloading it. This is a good thing because it ensures no third-party has infected it with viruses, malware, etc.

As digital signature checking is a windows thing there is nothing that we can do about the long wait. Although it is good to check what applications are connecting to the web, if any installer (and not just ours) tries to contact CRL.VERISIGN.NET, you would be better advised to let it.
  • I’m a little confused by the PicoScope comment. PicoScope will only try to open USB devices from the splash screen or from the connect device dialog. The dialog will display a wait cursor but the splash screen wont. The fact that there is splash screen indicates that the application is busy doing start up tasks etc and so a wait cursor is not needed. Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood your comment.
Regards

Mark