Install problem in 64 bit Windows 7

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Seong

Install problem in 64 bit Windows 7

Post by Seong »

I have a Picoscope 2205 and I have not had any problem when I used Windows XP.

I tried to install PicoScope6_r6_3_43 in 64 bit Windows 7 but it starts rolling back as soon as finished installing and delete what is installed.

I also tried to install other versions of Picoscope but the result was same.

I would like to know if installing the software in WIndows 7 is possible.

Seong

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Install problem in 64 bit Windows 7

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
There should be no problems installing PicoScope6 R6.3.43 in Windows 7, 64 bit, I did it a few days ago myself. There is a bug, which we are working on, where it does not recognise any of the 2000 series scopes (in Windows 7, 64 bit only) but the software should not roll-back. Please could you send full details of your system and all error messages crash reports etc to me at the help-desk so we can sort this out. We have no problems with Vista 64 bit or Windows 7, 32 bit.
Regards,
PeterF.

steblerjun

Post by steblerjun »

Hi,
I've got the same problem as Seong. (I've got a PicoScope 2202) and I've been working with Windows7 Ultimate RC 64bit, 4GB RAM.

I hadn't any problems on WinXP too...

Regards,
steblerjun

Seong

Post by Seong »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

The setup program erases everything as soon as finished installing showing a message that rolling back has been stared. Then it shows a new message below

The wizard was interrupted before PicoScope 6 could be completely installed.
Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time. please run setup again.

That's all.

By the way, I am using a Korean version of Windows 7, but I don't think it's the reason.

Regards,

Seong

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
For those of you having problems installing here are the details of how to generate an Install.log file:-
Please create a "C:\Temp" directory and copy the "PicoScope6_r6_3_43.exe" download file into it. Make sure the PicoScope is not plugged into the PC. Now go to the Windows "Start" button, then select "Run" and in the command line box copy and paste the following:-

C:\Temp\PicoScope6_r6_3_43.exe /v"/L install.log"

Click "OK" and PicoScope6 will start to install in the usual way. At the end, whether the software has installed properly or not, there will be an "Install.log" file in the "C:\Temp" directory. Please email that file to me and we can then see what has gone wrong with the installation.
pfrench@picotech.com
Regards,
PeterF.

Post by Guest »

[quote="PeterF"]Hi,
There is a bug, which we are working on, where it does not recognise any of the 2000 series scopes (in Windows 7, 64 bit only) but the software should not roll-back.[/quote]

Peter, do you have an ETA on fixing that bug? I'm stuck with a useless 2205 until the fix is released :(

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
Here is a fix for PicoScope6 R6.3.43 where 2000 series scopes are not recognised under Windows 7, 64 bit.
I attach a replacement .dll which should fix things for you. Extract ps2000.dll from the attached zip file. Replace the similarly named .dll in C:\Program Files\Pico Technology\PicoScope6 with the new one.
Please contact again if you still have problems.
Regards,
PeterF.
Attachments
PS2000.zip
(329.29 KiB) Downloaded 937 times

zlite

Post by zlite »

Works great! Thanks very much...

steblerjun

Post by steblerjun »

I don't have any files to replace; my pico-directory is empty!
:( (the setup program erases everything as soon as finished installing...)

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

If you are getting "Roll-Back" on installation, please generate the "Install" log described earlier and email it to us direct:-

support@picotech.com

PeterF.

Post by Guest »

I have the same problem. When the forum was down, I posted a ticket on the help desk. You asked me for the dpinst.log file, It is uploaded there and so is the install log.
(Ticket ID TS00028387)

cynove

Post by cynove »

I was not logged in, I posted the previous message.

cynove

Post by cynove »

PeterF wrote:If you are getting "Roll-Back" on installation, please generate the "Install" log described earlier and email it to us direct:-

support@picotech.com

PeterF.
What are the news on this subject ?

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

As a general note, roll-back on installation is often caused by the presence of a second, plug-in LPT card which has been allocated as LPT3. This means that there is a missing LPT2 which causes a problem. Removing the LPT card during installation will get round this but we are also bringing out a change to the code to stop this problem in future.
PeterF.

robinbrowne

Post by robinbrowne »

Hi PeterF,

Thanks very much for posting the new PS2000.dll. I use my PicoScope all the time, often with PicoLog. I recently purchased a new laptop for use in the field. Of course, it had Windows 7 64 bit. Imagine my disappointment when it would not work with my PicoScope. But imagine my delight when everything is working properly, thanks to your new PS2000.dll

PS - And it also works with PicoLog. Simply, replace the existing PS2000.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Pico Technology\Pico Full, and bingo. Brilliant software engineering, guys :-)

Sincerely,
Robin Browne
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.