Is it possible to switch together XY and Persist. mode?

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
san

Is it possible to switch together XY and Persist. mode?

Post by san »

Hello,
To obtain different kinds of characteristics of some sensors and other electronic devices I normally use DSO and proceed as follows: 1) The DSO is set in both XY plot mode (Ch1 data is displayed on Y axis and Ch2 data is displayed on X axis) and Persistence mode (the scope captures many acquisitions of a signal to the screen and record points accumulate); 2) The voltage proportional to the input sensor signal is connected to Ch2 input and the voltage proportional to the output sensor signal is connected to Ch1 input; 3) The operator manually, using a benchmark, increases (decreases) input sensor signal, and the voltage proportional to the output sensor signal increases (decreases) respectively. The obtained characteristic is depicted on the screen.
For such purposes I used DSO GwINSTEK GDS-2104 and Velleman PCSU 1000. One example of the obtained by described above way characteristics is shown in the enclosed picture “PCSU1000_XY_Plot&Persist.jpg”. (This particular characteristic is linear.) Note that both of the buttons “Persist” and “XY plot” are switched on.
Recently I bought a DSO PicoScope 3224. I try to use it in conjunction with the software PicoScope 6 installed on PC for described above purposes. Unfortunately, I could not manage to set the DSO in both XY plot mode and Persistence mode simultaneously using the PicoScope 6 software: if the scope is in Persistence mode, it is impossible to switch XY plot mode additionally; if the scope is in XY plot mode and switch Persistence mode, the XY plot mode “disappear”.
Please give me advice how to resolve the described above problem – is it possible to switch PicoScope 3224 in both XY plot mode and Persistence mode simultaneously in order to obtain XY plot of different device characteristics (like as DSO GwINSTEK GDS-2104 and Velleman PCSU 1000)?

Best regards,
Svetoslav Noykov
Attachments
PCSU1000_XY_Plot&Persist.JPG
(107.05 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Is it possible to switch together XY and Persist. mode?

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
You cannot call up XY mode and Persistence mode at the same time. You need to just use XY mode on it's own and adjust a time base setting as used in normal scope mode to select the display time and hence the number of complete cycles of waveform displayed. Depending on the relative times of the complete cycle and display time, either fractional loops or multiple loops of the cycle will be seen. This can have the same effect as persistence mode.
PeterF.