Will COP probe work with my Tektronix scope?

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Will COP probe work with my Tektronix scope?

Post by Guest »

I have a Tektronix TDS 210 scope. Do you know if the COP probe will work with this scope?

Thank you

Carl Grotti
Active User
Active User

COP Probe

Post by Carl Grotti »

Hello Guest,

I will assume you are referring to the Coil-On-Plug probe.

The PP338 will work with many DSOs and igniton systems, however, be aware that this isn't always the case.

For starters, you have to realize that the voltage accuracy cannot be consistant by nature of the physics involved. As I'm sure you are aware, the field intensity will vary depending on placement. This is something that users acknowledge and they will compensate accordingly.

Here is one other obstacle. Some coil manufactures have their coils so well shielded to prevent EMI/RFI that you will not be able to reliably pick up their field. These are rare, but they do exist.

The only thing that would worry me about your Tektronix TDS 210 for ignition is the record length. With this being at 2500 sample points per channel, then I wonder how well it can perform at common automotive timebases such as sweep rates of 100 mS or greater.

Lets say your scope is set up for 20 mS/div for ignition secondary. Will it reliably pick up a 15 uS firing line? At this time-base, I don't think you have enough buffer memory. You certainly have plenty of bandwidth, but the record length is something that might be holding you back from getting near enough sampling at our common time-bases.

Regards,