Two AWG channels (synchronization issues?)

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
mariscotti
User
User

Two AWG channels (synchronization issues?)

Post by mariscotti »

Hallo,
I have purchased two 2203 (2 ch. + 1 AWG) for didactic purposes.

Now I must generate two almost sinusoidal waveforms at 50 Hz + some superimposed slow transients and the waveforms must be loosely synchronized, so that a pre-set phase relationship is met with an accuracy/stability of a few degrees (100 us or a bit more at 50 Hz).

Question:
Is it possible to sync the two 2203 by software through Picoscope (no hard real time requirements as you see above), or by using one of the input channels as a trigger channel, or something else?

Thank you all for reading,
best regards
andrea

Pico Stuart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pico Stuart »

Dear Andrea,

Io order to fully undertand your query please could you provide me with some additional information. Please could you define your superimposed slow transients and your synchronization definitions.

Kindest regards
Stuart

mariscotti
User
User

Two AWG channels (synchronization issues?) - details

Post by mariscotti »

Dear Stuart,
the test concerns the correct operation of a V-I relay for supply network protection.
1) The I waveform is to be chosen among different waveforms, either
a) a simple 50 Hz sine or
b) a sine + an exponential decay with time constant tau of 150 ms.
2) The V waveform is simply a 50 Hz sine.
3) V and I waveforms must be set with a selectable phase displacement (accounting for the various displacement factors of a real supply network); let's say from 0 to 90 degrees, with few degrees increments.
4) The time duration is set by the longest time constant and by the expected time-to-trigger of the "relay under test" to approx. 300 ms or so.
5) The time resolution is set by waveform quality, this same phase resolution and the internal storage memory of the Picoscope: definitely with 400 pts per period I obtain 20 periods within the 8000 samples constraint of my 2203.
6) Of course synchronization is required down to a few electrical degrees, so approx. 100 us; I think then that I can get this through the USB, just like for the input channels of different Picoscopes that are sinchronized during the same acquisition (never tried, to be honest, but I read that they can be used in parallel).

Of course I can use the supply mains after a down transformer for th e50 Hz voltage and trigger only one Picoscope and its AWG to this mains 50 Hz sine.

Since I'm new to the Picoscope environment (used a few times on field tests with Picoscope 6, the last one one month ago), I don't know if I can get all this with a simple GUI or if I have to write down a little code or maybe to use Matlab (the one I'm going to use to generate my damped I waveform).

A lot of things written so far, so thank you for your attention
kind regards
andrea