Humidiprobe "unplug - replug"

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers
schling
User
User

Humidiprobe "unplug - replug"

Post by schling »

Hi,

I have a recently purchased a Humidiprobe, now installed in my remotely controlled astronomical observatory. Due to the occasional power failure, or other reasons, I need to remotely reboot the PC (running XP Pro). After reboot, or wakeup from hibernation, Picolog says something like "..contact lost...unplug and replug device ...". Of course that's not possible since I'm miles away staring at a screen.

Hacking away at the problem with the decvon utility has taken me nowhere as I just can't restart the device. When I try to do so through "devcon restart", it actually says that a reboot is needed but that doesn't bring the Humidiprobe back.

Not mission critical, but annoying. :(

Is this the expected behaviour? Any input or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Robert Schlingensiepen

Pico Stuart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pico Stuart »

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear that you are struggling to activate humiprobe after hibernation/reboot. I have tried to simulate your fault and can replicate this after hibernation. What I have discovered is if the unplug or replug device warning appears, I closed picolog and then fully shut down my PC. After rebooting I open PicoLog and configured PicoLog as follows: selected File/New settings/Recording/Sampling rate/Converter Details (selected Humiprobe) and it appeared to work. In order for me to try and you resolve this issue please could you tell me some facts about your Humiprobe installation. Are you connected via a hub etc ...and in what scenario does the failure occur. Is it in Hibernate/power failure or both?

Kindest regards
stuart@picotech

schling
User
User

Post by schling »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your quick reply.

All I can tell you from where I am is that the Humidiprobe is connected to a hub. I should be out at the remote site this weekend and will run + document some tests (with or without hub, reboot and hibernate), and try to reconnect to the probe as you describe.

I will let you know the results.

Until then

Robert

schling
User
User

Post by schling »

Hi Stuart,

Last weekend I ran some tests and could indeed confirm what you wrote: the humidiprobe becomes unavailable after resume from hibernation, but a reboot brings it back (through device enumeration).

I was really busy and did not post this until today, and -as luck goes- I did have a two hour power failure yesterday. So I went through the remote procedure of rebooting, and the humidiprobe is back. I actually read values through my own observatory control program written in vb. net.

So, case closed (unless you want to do something about the hibernation issue.... :wink: ).

Thanks again

Robert