Signal's clipped using a custom setup Probe

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
IMMR
User
User

Signal's clipped using a custom setup Probe

Post by IMMR »

Hi,

I'm using Version 6.2.0.18

We measure acceleration using Picoscope in our company and have been dealing with a very old problem which it still exists to this date and version.

When we're creating a new probe from Tools>Custom probes menu to convert voltage to Gees (g), it clips the top of the signal as soon as we select the custom probes.

Here's how we normally proceed:
- Tools>Custom Probes>New probe>Next
- Check "Use Custom unit defined below" with short name "g" and then Next
- We check "Use a lookup table" and click on "Create a lookup table"
- We enter the max and min Gees corresponding to the voltage displayed on the screen and press "Ok" and then "Next"
- In Range management, we check the "(Advanced) option and click "Next"
- In "Edit Range" window, we keep the recommended option and just put the desired Scaled range limit for our purpose. Click "Ok" and then "Next"
- Finally we choose a name for created probe and click "Finish"

Now when we choose the probe we created to convert Voltage to G, it clips the top side of the sine wave signal.

Please let me know if this is a bug or setup issue? And in any case, please provide a solution for us.
We own about 8 Picoscopes and some 4 variable Probes form Picotech and this is so far our main problem.

Thanks,

Raz.

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Hi Raz

Can you email your data file to support@picotech.com, so we can check your settings?

Robin

IMMR
User
User

Signal's clipped

Post by IMMR »

Hi Robin,

Please find attached the data files before and after creating/using a custom probe setup. If you zoom in the second one, you’ll also see the top of channel A and B are clipped.

Also please look at the third file I’ve attached. This one causes a crash when you turn off one of the channels (any one) and press Go to start capturing (different issue from the first one).

Thanks,

Ahh! I'm not able to attach the data files here. :x I'll email it to support directly after submitting.

Raz.

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Hi

Your signal is clipping because your custom probe range is set to +/-2 V and your signal goes above 2 V. You need to change the range to +/-5 V in the custom probe setup.

Robin

IMMR
User
User

Software crashes when turning off one of the channels

Post by IMMR »

Hi Robin,

I followed your instruction for custom probe settings and it corrected the problem. Thanks. :D

Do you have any feedback regarding the second issue of software crashing I had asked you? I've already sent you the file to your company email account.

Thanks,

Raz.

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Hi Raz

Which oscilloscope do you have?

I will see if I can re-create the problem.

Robin

IMMR
User
User

Post by IMMR »

Hi Robin,

I'm using scope 3424. Open the file I've sent you, turn off one of the channels and then pess go. On my computer the software crashes.

Regards,

Raz.

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Hi Raz

I have reported this bug to our software development team.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Robin