Signals often not displayed

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
terrypin

Signals often not displayed

Post by terrypin »

Looks like this (the first of my several posts yesterday) didn't get sent or failed to arrive

I'm using PicoScope 6 (r11-10) on my old XP PC in the shed workshop, with the Series 2 2050A and have several problems. Some at least are no doubt due to the long gap since I started reusing it recently, as I relearn stuff. I'll post my questions separately, starting with the following that's frustrating me the most.

There are many occasions when I have one or two signals connected, yet one or both are not displayed. Stopping and starting doesn't fix it. Nor does changing trigger options. Sometimes using Auto Setup corrects it. Sometimes it seems I have to open a previously saved .psdata file to recover. This situation typically arises some while after starting a session, in which I always use Auto Setup initially, but then change various settings (voltage scale, timescale, starting/stopping/etc).

Is there any general cause I'm missing? Or advice on how to avoid?

I appreciate the description is a bit vague, so I'd be happy to record any sequence of steps if it helps to isolate the problem.

Terry Pinnell, East Grinstead, UK

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Signals often not displayed

Post by bennog »

Can you post a psdata file on where 1 ch is missing.
Maybe also a screenshot ?

And what are you trying to measure ?

Benno

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks, I’ll save a .psdata file the next time I get this issue.

Re your question about what I’m trying to measure: nothing in particular. I’m in re-learning mode, applying signals of known type (sine, square, brief pulses, etc) and viewing them on the PicoScope.

I suspect that some of my difficulties are because I haven’t fully grasped the distinction between the terms ‘trigger’ and ‘capture’. So maybe I’m not using the trigger functions correctly.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Terry,

You might find out Beginner's Guide useful as well as the videos accessible from here or YouTube.

Hope this helps,

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks Hitesh, and sorry for late reply; I somehow missed your post until now.

Those look useful resources. Pretty sure I've studied the Beginner's Guide before many years ago but will re-read, and also try some of the videos.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK