Probe inputs wrongly displayed

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
terrypin

Probe inputs wrongly displayed

Post by terrypin »

Had a 'phone discussion about this perplexing problem with Gerry in Technical Support this afternoon and promised to let him know results of my subsequent trouble-shooting. Also hope to get other's feedback here please.

I'm using PicoScope 6 (r11-10) on my old XP PC in the shed workshop, with the Series 2 2050A.

This illustration summarises the consistent inexplicable behaviour I'm getting:

With the x1/x10 probe connected to a steady 10V DC, when the slider is at X1 that gets displayed as 100V. And at X10 it is 10V. The correct display should be 10V and 1V respectively. As you see, it's not Pico Technology's probes at fault.
Are other users getting similar behaviour, or able to suggest the likeley cause please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Probe inputs wrongly displayed

Post by Martyn »

Make sure that the probe you have set in the software channel options menu, Channel Letter with black arrow on the toolbar, matches the slider position on the probe.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks for the fast reply, Martyn, but surely I don't have to make that setting change every time I move the slider? That's never been my experience over many years use of PicoScope usage.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

That has always been the case, there is no fancy electronics in the probes to signal what the slider position is, it just switches in x10 attenuation. The scope only sees a voltage it does not know what is connected or whether the signal has been attenuated by a probe.
Martyn

terrypin

Post by terrypin »

OK, thanks, understood. Down to me then. It's been a year or three since I used PicoScope in earnest. So either I've totally forgotten that aspect of my previous workflow or the software has changed. But I can never recall seeing a 10V signal reported as 100V! With the slider in any of its two positions. (Presumably you can reproduce that?) I would, of course, always keep in mind that when deliberately moved to the x10 position it would be shown as 1V.

To avoid this, how can I ensure that the default on restarting PicoScope is not x10, as it is now, but x1 please?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

If you go to File->StartUpSettings there are options to set what happens on start up.
Martyn