Delta time?

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
FuelieNova

Delta time?

Post by FuelieNova »

Ok so Im a old man that is very much a rookie with my new picoscope. I hope my question is not to basic.
I have a 4224 using the latest download software on the site.
Is there a way using my cursors for delta voltage to also incorporate delta time?
I know I can use the time cursors and the voltage cursors but that seem cumbersome.
I just want to adjust my voltage cursors to a 2 volt delta and have it tell the delta time also.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Tom

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Delta time?

Post by Martyn »

At the present time the voltage and time cursors are independent so have to be positioned manually.

We are looking at some options, for example dragging time rulers and having voltage rulers automatically follow the trace, for a future release. Having time rulers track voltages would be a little more difficult as a trace can go through a set voltage level multiple times in a single waveform.

With PicoScope 6 there are often other ways to achieve what you need, so if you can post a picture of a trace showing what you are trying to measure, then we may be able to assist you in setting the scope up to do this.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

sbabic44
User
User

Post by sbabic44 »

Allow me to contribute. On other scopes cursors are often tracking (or can be made to behave that way).
When you adjust vertical cursor, horizontal cursor is following the point where vertical one intersects with waveform. And vice versa.You can see that kind of behaviour in LTSpice too..
I find it to be very useful. Adding that capability would make UI much better.
Regards,

Sinisa

FuelieNova

Post by FuelieNova »

Thanks for the help guys.
I have already left the customers plant and do not have any waveforms printed out.
Basically it is a linear line (steady speed) starting at 9VDC down to .5VDC. I am measuring a position transducer and wanting to calculate velocity. I use the following equation.
Delta Volts (2 VDC)/Delta Time x Max stroke in mm/10 = MM/Sec
Tom

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This sounds as if it is something that can be done using Tools->MathChannnel.

There is a differential function so if the voltage represents the distance then the differential will give the speed, and you can have a full plot of this across the trace.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

FuelieNova

Post by FuelieNova »

Thanks for that idea...
I will be back at my customers late next week and will experiment.
Tom