2203 crashes

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
crawford
User
User

2203 crashes

Post by crawford »

My Pico 2203 crashes as soon as any data is sent its way. I starts up fine, but as soon as it gets any kind of signal, it quits. Tried restarting several times to no avail. I'm using Windows XP home edition version 2002.

It worked a couple of months ago but I have not fired up the computer or the program in those 2 months.

Any ideas?

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Hi Crawford

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems.

When it was working previously, was that using the same PC, operating system and software?

What is happening now? Can you start PicoScope 6 and see what unit is connected (help -> about)? At what point does picoscope 6 crash?

Robin

crawford
User
User

Post by crawford »

Robin:

Everything is the same as when it worked before.

The program starts up fine. I use it in repeat mode. It is connected to a strain gauge on channel A. As soon as I apply a force above the trigger point, the software crashes saying "application unexpectedly quit."

To see if it worked below the trigger, I switched the mode to "none" and it crashes immediately.

I am traveling for the next few days so I can't access the help-> about. I'll check when I get back.

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Crawford

Do you have the same problem with no triggering?

Do you have the same problem if you connect the 2203's signal generator rather than your strain gauge?

Robin

crawford
User
User

Post by crawford »

Robin:
I'll check in a couple of days when I'm back at the computer and let you know.
Crawford

crawford
User
User

Post by crawford »

Robin:

I don't really understand the signal generator. I turned it on, but then what? Nothing happened.

Anyway, regarding triggering. A few things. First, my strain gauge is connected and reads 15.36 kg. My trigger is set for 2.4V.

If I put trigger mode on "none", it crashes right away. If I put trigger mode on repeat (where I use it for all my applications) and type 0 in the trigger box it crashes. If I use the down arrow on the trigger, no crash occurs until it gets to 1.6 V, or, in other words, when it gets to the 15.36 Kg showing on my ADC/DAC controller.

Channel A is connected to the controller which connects to the strain gauge. Channel B is connected to a laser diode. All combinations of connecting and unconnecting channel cables still crashes, including neither being connected. So, if I have no channels connected and switch trigger mode to zero, it crashes. Therefore, it would seem that there is nothing wrong with the signals coming from the strain gauge or diode, nor with the BNC cables. It must be in the box.

What to do?

Crawford

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Crawford

If you connect the signal generator output to one of the input channels, you should see the signal being generated.

If you have one available, could you try using another PC. This will help to identify where the problem lies. Also, it's always good to check that you have the latest software (http://www.picotech.com/download.html). Let me know how you get on.

Robin

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Also, what other USB devices do you have connected to your PC? Has this changed since the 2203 was working?

Robin

crawford
User
User

Post by crawford »

Robin:

No other USB devices are attached. It has always been the same.

I connected the signal output to channel B and turned on the signal generator. Nothing happened, except that it still crashed if I tried to change any of the trigger modes or put it to none or zero. I messed with the generator settings a little, but nothing seemed to matter.

Crawford

crawford
User
User

Post by crawford »

Robin:

I also tried to load it on another PC. It made me stop on the "detected new hardware setup". It said something like "not recognized by Windows as safe and may compromise your entire system...highly recommend to abort install." So I did.

Crawford

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Crawford

Before I recommend sending the unit back to us, I want to be sure of your setup.

What version of PicoScope software do you have?

Which Windows service packs do you have installed?

You connected the signal generator to channel B, turned the signal generator on, enabled channel B and could not see a signal. Is this correct?

Have you tried an alternative USB cable?

I don't recognise the warning message that you saw. Was this a Windows message or was it generated by some other application?

Do you have admin rights on the PC?

Robin

crawford
User
User

Post by crawford »

Robin:

Of course I didn't read your post until I left town again, so I do not have access to that computer for another week. However I did bring the picoscope with me to send back, but I'll hold onto it.

I don't know the version...6.0 something. I purchased it around March 2008 (I think), if that helps you with what version it is.

Service Pack 2 seems to ring a bell??

Yes, I attached the cable to both A and B and turned on the signal generator (simply by checking the box, correct?) and nothing happened. I tried switching to different trigger modes. Nothing happened on "repeat" or "single" but if I switched to "automatic" or "none" it crashed.

I did try another USB cable. It still crashed.

The warning message occurred after the software was loaded but during the time that Windows recognized a new device and started copying files. About half way through that process the message appeared. To be more precise (from a cloudy memory), the message said that Windows did not recognize the "logo" (or some such term) for the device and recommended I stop the installation. I stopped since it was my wife's computer!

Don't know if I have admin rights or not. Probably, or it can be arranged.

Crawford

Robin
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Robin »

Crawford

It sounds like your unit needs to come back to us. If you would like to return it, please send your contact details to support@picotech.com and we will issue a returns number.

I think the warning message that you are describing is due to the drivers not being signed my Microsoft. This warning is normal and it is safe to continue.

Robin