No news is good news?

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Mac software
Roland

No news is good news?

Post by Roland »

May I just put some words down to push for the Mac version of the Software?
I like the scopes, the hardware, but I'm not a big fan of PCs.

The first Picoscope I got was a 3203D.
A nice piece of equipment for me indeed. I have used it for many years and I like it a lot. It's been with me as a tool when visiting customers, when I've been in the office and of course I use it at home.
This spring I decided to upgrade and got myself a 3405D. Mainly because I often feel a need for more than 2 channels. Higher frequency was not necessary, but then again why not?
So now I'm happy again. Not having to swap the probes between different testing points all the time as I can now use all four "permanently" connected while adjusting the equipment I'm working with. Nice.

However.
I'm a Mac user and am not happy in the PC environment. I suppose our IT-department has done it's best to keep the PCs working in the ever increasingly hostile virtual world, and this is not always possible to combine with user friendliness. PCs are not easy to work with as they have all kinds of protections, passwords, locks, firewalls and only god knows about all the catches there can be when it's to be used as a tool and not as a typewriter.
I suppose most of these precautions and limitations are needed but they also make the life for someone like me less fun.
So I'm using my Mac when I work and create and the PC when I need to claim my salary.

And then. For as long as I've been near Picoscopes there has been a rumor around saying that it will be possibel to use it even with a Mac. Wow!
But years have passed since then, and time is still passing. I note that the last forum post about Mac is more than a month old. That is a bad sign, I think.

Please tell me that it's soon going to happen and that you are very near a release of SW for Mac.
Please make my day :-)
/R

Hitesh

Re: No news is good news?

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Roland,

Thank you for your feedback about your PicoScope.

There is a new version of the PicoScope 6 Beta software for macOS due out soon (its currently being tested) which will add support for the new PicoScope 5000D Series products are incorporate bug fixes.

We are working towards parity between the Windows, Linux and macOS platforms which should be seen in the next major release but I am unable to advise on timescales at this moment in time.

Regards,

rkt-tech

Post by rkt-tech »

Good afternoon, Hitesh.

I haven't been on the forum here in several months, maybe longer... my two Picoscope 3406D's (one MSO and one not) seem to Just Work on Windows 7, with issues but nothing I haven't been able to work around.

Today, I see that not much has changed in the world of Picoscope for Mac... looking back a few years in the forums I read things like "We are working towards parity between the Windows, Linux and macOS platforms", and here today (well, actually, from this past July) I see that after all those years nothing has changed.

I really like my Picoscopes and support for Windows platforms has always been good-to-excellent. But isn't it time, now, to move to the next level on MacOS platforms? "I can't tell you when" really and truly does not help. Three or four or five years from now (by which time I hope to be retired), will I still be reading "We are working towards parity..."?

Thanks, and really, keep up the good work, but let's please finally make some moves on MacOS parity with Windows, OK? And can we please get past the "I can't tell you anything about time"? It's well past time now that we should be able to get at least a rough estimate.

Thanks...

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

You will see that we now have a feature parity version of our logging software PicoLog 6, which also supports your devices.

We are working towards parity for PicoScope software, it will be a major revision release so not PicoScope 6. I can't give any timescales but suggest you keep looking on the site for any news.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

rkt-tech

Post by rkt-tech »

Good morning, Martyn.

See, this is exactly what I asked you not to reply. It provides no useful information at all that's not the exact same thing you folks were saying a year or two years or three years or more ago. I have every confidence that next year about this time, or two or three years from now, we'll still be reading "it's (still) coming but can't say anything about the timescales".

Really, your loyal customers deserve better, don't you agree?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I posted because I wanted to point out that the 3000 series are now supported by PicoLog 6, which is feature compatible multi platform software, an indication that the situation is now changing.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

armin.sch

Post by armin.sch »

One year since the last post here: I'm desperately waiting for a Version which is not so buggy and watching release after release on the Windows version. Any news with a specific date for a reasonable macOS version? At least the timescale (weeks/months/years) would be appreciated.

rkt-tech

Post by rkt-tech »

Agreed. I am also still, after these many years, looking for answers and an update. At this point I don't believe a feature-parity MacOS version will ever be released. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

stfarley

Post by stfarley »

I have been looking for activity here as well. Even a bug fix release would be welcome.

rkt-tech

Post by rkt-tech »

Yeah, I've given up. It ain't going to happen, ever. Looking for an alternative from another manufacturer.

armin.sch

Post by armin.sch »

:D Sometimes the unexpected, forever desired happens: there is a new version for macOS (still beta but on pair with the Windows version(number). Thanks!

rkt-tech

Post by rkt-tech »

>> there is a new version for macOS

Thanks, armin.sch. Did it just come out, or has it been silently sitting there for a while? Official notice of its availability would have been nice (unless your message here is that official notice).

I've given up on trying to recommend picotech to my clients, mostly due to their longstanding and immoveable "we can't tell you anything about time" policy which makes it impossible to plan anything. It's a real shame because it's a good product but needs better (and more informative and timely) support.

In any case I'm retired now, so I don't suppose it makes much difference anymore...

bambadoo

Post by bambadoo »

Got the latest beta version working on a macbook pro with macos 10.15.5 Catalina.

In CLI: Type

Code: Select all

sudo spctl --master-disable

And then run the installer. Took a long time starting first time.