ADC100, drivers for Win2000

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
zoran

ADC100, drivers for Win2000

Post by zoran »

Hi there,

I recently changed the computer on which I had satisfactorily ran my
custom-made Visual-Basic script to record data from the ADC-100. Once I
tried my program on the new machine, it produced strange results.

I then realised that my new laptop was running Windows 2000 (I had prev. used Win98), so I upgraded the driver files from your website to the latest versions. However, the code STILL does not work! I checked the wiring, and all the hardware that I am using, but these are all functioning normally.
The ADC-100 unit produces normal results on my old Win98 machine with the old drivers, and I tried the same code on another Win2000 machine, and the strange results were the same. (The 'strange results' is that the ADC-100 claims to be reading a very fluctuating 613mV when it should read zero)
I then tried to run the 'example code' entitled adc10032.xls. Both inputs should read 0V (this has been checked with a multimeter), but instead I'v got readings 222 to 613mV on both channels.

*I am not using the printer adapter
*I am running a Celeron using Windows 2000, Excel 2000 and both your and our VBasic software, and getting the same glitch
*The glitch has been duplicated on another Win2000/Excel2000 machine
*I am using pico.sys V1.5 (31/July/2002), with adc10032.dll modified
22/Nov/2002 and installed in the windows\system32 folder.
*The ADC refuses to count higher that 2299, and is also fond of producing
2059. Note that these numbers are 1000 1111 1011 and 1000 0000 1011
respectively. This occurs when 0V is being given to it, and the range is set
to the higher voltage ranges. When range set lower, the results are more
random, but still very likely to be 1000 xxxx 1011.
*Both AC/DC buttons are pushed in, on the DC setting.

If you can give any insight as to what is going on, it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Zoran

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I did answer the email that was sent, but unfortunately it was bounced back with mail delivery error. Here is what I said.

I think the first step is to test the unit on this machine with Picoscope, to see if the same results are received.

There are two possible problems that you might be getting.

1. If you use Picoscope and see a noisy square wave then this would imply that the adaptor has to be used on the parallel port of the ADC-100. To remove this in Picoscope do the following:

File|Set up|Convertor

In the text box labeled patches enter the following:
f2:0

Now close Picoscope down and start it up again, see if the problem has been solved.

If you go to Help|About it should now say 'Use Adaptor'

If this is the problem then you will need to do the following:

Check to see if your PC has a win.ini file usually located in the Windows directory. If the file is there enter the following in to the file, if it is not there create the file and then put this in it:

[ADC100]
UseAdapter=Yes

2. The scond problem is could be that the ADC-100 is not communicating with the PC. Try the following.

Go to the PC's BIOS:

Check the mode of the Parallel port, it needs to be set to one of the following:

SPP, Normal, Unidirectional, Output only.
If you do not have any of these setting available contact your PC manufaturer and ask which setting you need for output only.

It should not be set to Bidirectional, ECP or EPP.

I am assuming that you had Administratitve rights on your Windows 2000 Operating System. If not this would stop the System files being registered.

If this does not solve your problem, please contact me again.

Best regards
Regards,

Mark Spencer

RichardO

I have exactly the same problem....

Post by RichardO »

....with a new ADC 100 that arrived today. Picoscope and log show the same bizarre 0.5 V fluctuating input, as does the example XL spreadsheet.

BTW, that spreadsheet has a column headed "ns" which is a tad optimisitic - should be "us"?

I've tried all the above suggestions, and also tried running with and without the adaptor box. Running without the adaptor makes a difference - I get no signal at all then.

R

RichardO

Forgot to mention

Post by RichardO »

Putting f2:0 in the box for picoscope did not lead to the about box saying "use adaptor" - it says "no adaptor" whether I have f2:0 in the convertor box and whether I have the adaptor in circuit or not.

But I'm not really that bothered about picoscope; what I need to do is get the ADC working through the DLLs so I can write some aquisition programmes.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Sorry my typo error the patch should have read:

f0:2

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

RichardO

Post by RichardO »

OK, the about box does say "use adaptor" now, but I still don't get any meaningful readings. On the other hand, I now have a different sort of random reading..... any ideas (besides getting hold of a win 98 machine)

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Could you please send me some .psd files of the traces with the adaptor and also without the adaptor. Please provide an explanation of the signal being put in to the ADC-100. To do this use the notes in Picoscope.

Once I have the files I will try to help you further.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Jorgen Berntsen

ADC-100 on Windows XP

Post by Jorgen Berntsen »

Hi Zoran and Mark

I have a problem that in some aspects is quite similar to Zorans's.

Running both the supplied Excel file and a C++ program, gives me signals that fluctuates with a zero input and also the same problem with an upper limit of 2299 as Zoran found!!

BUT the real annoying problem is that the picoscope program work fine and gives correct reading!!!

So my question is: does the picoscope software somehow manipulates the parallel port by other means than by calling the adc10032.dll?

My setup is: Windows XP, ADC-101 and the parallel port set to printer (this is the only settings apart from EPP, ECP and bidirectional).

As the 101 has a built-in adaptor, this can't be the problem?

Regards Jørgen

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Picoscope does not manipulate the parallel port in any other way than is provided in the adc10032.dll driver.

Try measuring a battery 1.5 volts on the ADC with Picoscope/Picolog. Use the different voltage ranges checking that you get the correct values each time. Once this has been done, use your own program again repeating the process. It the functions are set up correctly, you should gat the same reult as our software.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Jorgen Berntsen

ADC-100 on Windows XP

Post by Jorgen Berntsen »

Hi again,

I tested you suggestions and the problem is still the same: PicoScope works but not my program. My test program is only using the following 4 dll call to the adc:

adc100_open_unit (port);
adc100_set_range (1000, 1000); // I'm using ADC-101
adc100_get_unit_info (line, sizeof (line), 0, port);
adc100_get_value (0);

The program works fine on a Windows-98. On my Win-XP the program doesn't work with the parallel port, BUT yesterday I got hold of an USB->Parallel port converter and this works fine!

So from my point of view the software and hardware works fine! Which implies that the problem is the combination of a parallel port and win-XP. Why PicoScope works on this combination and not my program is still very puzzling for me. Any suggestions?

Regards Jørgen

RichardO

Old problem gone, new one arrived!

Post by RichardO »

The picoscope software has suddenly started working properly. I guess rebooting my PC after the weekend had some effect.

However, I now have a different problem - the ADC will not return any vaue above 240 bits from the zero point (i.e. 2048) when using the example code (or my own).

I am using a probe supplied by yourselves connected to a variable DC voltage supply to give a signal. The signal is shown correctly in picoscope, but in the example XL program the level is always truncated to 240 bits regardless of the range I set.

R

Jorgen

ADC-100 problems

Post by Jorgen »

Hi Richard

I prety sure that we have the same problem (se my postings above).

Which version of Windows are you using and what is the settings of the parallel port in the BIOS (SPP, ECP or .....)?

Have you tested the software on a Win-98?

Regards Jørgen

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi Jorgen,

Instead of trying the adc100_get_value function set your program up so that it can collect a block of data with either adc100_get_values or adc100_get_times_and_values. See if this gives similar results.

Try the unit with your program on a Win98 PC and see if you get the correct readings.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi Richard,

Well I am glad that Picoscope has started correctly.

Are you using the same adc10032.dll that is being used by the Picoscope application.

I would also suggest that you also try the get_values function to collect a block of data.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

RichardO

Post by RichardO »

I have the declarations in my code pointing to the ADC10032.dll in the pico directory. As this is where picoscope lives, I am assuming it is the same one used by picoscope.

"Get value" and "get values" both show the same problem (I already tried that - "get times and values" gives the same answers too).

If I had to set a filter to get picoscope working, would I not have to do the same in code? The "get unit info" command currently returns "no adapter" as one of it's fields, which is what picoscope said when it didn't work. However, there does not seem to be any way of setting a filter using the functions in the dll. At least there isn't one that is covered by the ADC 100 manual.....

R