Flow and temp measurement

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Flow and temp measurement

Post by Guest »

Hi,
Initially I have a requirement to measure 7 seperate temperature readings and 6 flow readings simultaniously.
I would also like to have an alarm condition if flow rate varies below a predetermined point.
The captured data I would like to store and be monitored from one computer in real time. Data capture freqency is not however that critical. m/s accuracy isn't necessary.

What products would you recommend to allow me to monitor flow and temp and output an alarm (either an external alarm or on the computer)?

Secondary there is a possibility that I would like to control flow based on flow data, so require feedback into the system. Do any of your modules or softwareallow control of external equipment?
Thanks.

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello guest,

Our data logging software PicoLog (http://www.picotech.com/data-logging-software.html), and Thermocouple data logger TC-08 (http://www.picotech.com/thermocouple.html) could meet your temperature logging needs.

If you obtain a flow sensor which outputs voltage or current in proportion to flow rate, then you may use one of our standard data loggers (http://www.picotech.com/datatable.html) in conjunction with the TC-08 under PicoLog.

The TC-08 may also be configured via PicoLog for +/- 70 mV, therefore, you could have an all TC-08 solution if your flow sensor output is within that range.

John

Post by Guest »

Thanks.
I've looked at the ADC-24 for flow measurement.
The second part of my query regarded an output from your system. The ADC-24 has 4 digital I/O's, can they be used to drive external sounders and/or send a signal to an external device when an alarm condition is reached?
Thanks,
Dave

Post by Guest »

I forgot to mention, the flow sensor I will be using sends pulses relative to flow rate. i.e. 10 pulses for every litre of liquid passing through. Can this type of sensor be used or does the ADC-24 require an analogue voltage relative to flow?

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

The digital I/O may be configured as alarm outputs, and care must be exercised when using those, as they are 3v3 logic based and, appropriate interfacing must be used to drive external devices.

PicoLog does not offer pulse counting, however, it would be possible to measure frequency with an appropriate logger (not the ADC-24).

Most of our data loggers work on sample interval, however, the ADC-20/24 work on conversion time. That means that running the two types of logger under a single instance of PicoLog may sometomes cause conflict due to differing demands.

I would recommend that you do not mix the two types of logger under a single instance of PicoLog.

John

Post by Guest »

Thanks John, In that case for flow measurement I think the ADC-11/12 would be a better option as you say it can support pulses for the flow measurment and has 2 outputs to drive alarms (properly interfaced of course).

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

You may have misread what I wrote:

'PicoLog does not offer pulse counting, however, it would be possible to measure frequency with an appropriate logger ...'

Also, the digital I/O addressed your question about the ADC-24 not the ADC-11.

The Digital outputs of the ADC-11 may only be used if you write your own application software.

If you wish to measure flow with PicoLog, then you may use frequency, voltage or low current only.

Hope this clarifies.

John

Post by Guest »

OK, by "appropriate logger", do you mean hardware or software? Can I take it that Pico do not offer such a thing?

"If you wish to measure flow with PicoLog, then you may use frequency, voltage or low current only. " Assumng I can find an alternative logger as above?

Actually I'm still confused, can we make it more simple. Can Pico provide the software and hardware to measure the flow rate of liquids?
Dave

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Dave,

Please let me summarise:
OK, by "appropriate logger", do you mean hardware or software? Can I take it that Pico do not offer such a thing?
PicoLog is the software and TC-08, ADC-24, ADC-11/12, etc are hardware.
"If you wish to measure flow with PicoLog, then you may use frequency, voltage or low current only. " Assumng I can find an alternative logger as above?
You may use our hardware, the exact model being dependent upon the frequency to be measured.
Actually I'm still confused, can we make it more simple. Can Pico provide the software and hardware to measure the flow rate of liquids?
The transducers that you choose need to output a voltage or current which is proportional to the quantity that you wish to monitor or, whose frequency varies proportionally.

Regards
John