Measuring the speed of light

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Measuring the speed of light

Post by Guest »

Our school is looking to purchase a PC based oscilloscope(s), of course the cheaper the better :)

One of the experiments we wish to use it for and probably the most demanding for us is measuring the speed of light.
bla,picotech,com~experiments~speed_of_light~index,html

Could you tell me which of the USB ones would be needed
i.e. any of the series 2000 or would I need a series 3000 and which model.

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello guest,

For the experiment you refer to, any of our 8 bit USB oscilloscopes would be suitable but, as you mention budget, then the 220x could be a sensible choice (http://www.picotech.com/picoscope2000.html).

Regards
John

Post by Guest »

Hello again,

Looking through the specs and playing with the DEMO of v6 (very nice idea btw) I am having to use the 2202* as my series 2200 example
Is it possible to add the 2203 to 2206, is there any real difference (wrt demo use) other than the timebase going lower.

So the 3204 seem to have the 50MHz bandwith the experiment is saying is needed, though the timebase seems to go far lower than is really needed. The 2204 having 100ns which should be fine giving a clear difference on an Interacitve White Board in the school.

What would I gain going for the 3204 over the 2204/2205?
Do the 2204/5 come in a hard carry case or have kits like the 3200's ?

*I am assuming the 2202 is just and even lower spec you do not sell any more.

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Guest,

The main purpose of the Demo is to get an overall impression of the PicoScope application software, rather than a definitive evaluation of each PicoScope product.

The PS2202 is quite a different unit from the PS2203/4/5, the latter of which offer superior overall specifications by comparison, and are also comparitively cheaper. Thus, the cost of putting the PS2203/4/5 into a kit would not offer quite the same good value.

If your application does not require the extra bandwidth/buffer memory and shorter available timebases, then there is no advantage in choosing a midrange product over an entry level product.

Regards
John

Post by Guest »

Bandwidth/buffer memory .... well I have no idea how that effects what I'm doing :lol:, I'm just going on what is mentioned in your experiments, on your site, for speed of light.
The experiment uses 100ns timebase, so I'm assuming it's what I need as a minimum.

note: I'm relying on timebase and your pre-sales advice as my guide.

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello guest,

Per my initial response:

'for the experiment you refer to, any of our 8 bit USB oscilloscopes would be suitable but, as you mention budget, then the 220x could be a sensible choice'.

As you require a minimum of 50 MS/s, the PS2204 would meet that requirement.

I trust that clarifies my recommendation.

Regards
John

Post by Guest »

Yes that does :)