ADC-16 & COM Ports ?

Post any questions about our serial port products
Keith (Southend)
User
User

ADC-16 & COM Ports ?

Post by Keith (Southend) »

I have an ADC-16 that works fine using the serial port on one PC, but never worked using the USB-Serial Converter. So I purchased a 2 Port PCI Card, installed it and in device manager can see the two ports as Com 7 and Com 8. When loading Pico software and I get the option of what Com port to use it only goes Com 1, 2, 3 & 4. What do I need to do to connect to Com 7 or 8?

I'm stuck atm :-(

Thanks

Keith (Southend)

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Keith,

A USB/Serial converter should work, provided that its driver is correctly installed and that you use the COM address assigned by the operating system to that converter, when setting up PicoLog.

To get your PCI COM ports listed in PicoLog setup, please try uninstalling and then reinstalling the software.

Regards
John

Keith (Southend)
User
User

This probably isn't a 'pico' question really, but how can I find out what ports/com address is assigned to what device?
I did the uninstall reinstall and still it only lists COM 1 2 3 & 4. I think these are all the USB ports, not the PCI ports which are listed separately in device manager.

*PCI Communication Port (COM7)
*PCI Communication Port (COM8)
*Prolific USB to serial Comm COM3)
(Note: I have a weather station that almost certainly uses COM3)

>USB Controllers:
*Logitec usb camera(ptz)
*Standard OpenHCD usb host controller
*USB Root Hub
*USB Root Hub

I'm sure this is one of these COM Port config problems, I just don't know how to solve it ;-( Maybe, I should try to connect the Weather Station to COM7 or 8 and then use COM3 for Pico ADC-16?)

Thanks for your reply

Keith (Southend)

Keith (Southend)
User
User

Ok, I just tried connecting the Pico ADC-16 via the USB-Serial Adapter on COM 3, which I have my Weather Station connected to that works.
No response from the ADC-16 at all. ~ Device not found etc.

I also tried to connect my Weather Station to COM 7 of the PCI Serial Card. The Weather Station comes with a serial (15 way) to RJ11 socket adapter, they supply a loopback connector to go into the RJ11 socket. The Weather station software on my PC found COM7, however, when the loopback is replaced with the connector to the Weather Station it can't see it? I also tried to change the baud speed from 9600 to 2400, 2400 is what the Weather Station is normally connected at, this made no difference.

When I reboot the PC it doesn't "find new hardware" everytime, nothing to suggest it's not installed correctly, which I would expect if the drivers for the PCI Card were not installed correctly.

Again, I don't think this is a Pico issue, but thought I'd run it across this forum.

Many thanks

Keith (Southend)