Picoscope screen disappears

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Mac software
Woody

Picoscope screen disappears

Post by Woody »

I have a slight problem,
using Pico 6 Beta on Mac High Sierra 10.13.3
If I have a Pop up screen eg, ruler dialog box or zoom box if I click on another application the Picoscope disappears and can only be brought back by clicking the Picoscope icon on the dock. Picoscope is not closed.
Thanks
Woody

Hitesh

Re: Picoscope screen disappears

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Woody,

This is an issue that our Development Team are aware of and I have added your comments to the existing bug report.

Any changes made to resolve this would be available via the next major release.

Regards,

Woody

Post by Woody »

Thank you for your prompt reply, any idea when the next release is due?
Woody

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Woody,

No information on a new release at present, although we only released a new PicoScope 6.12 Beta version so it may be a little while.

Regards,

denizcan

Post by denizcan »

As MacOS version is on Beta, could you release more frequently? Also, you should consider making some part of the software open source.. That way we may also join the development. When the MacOS version matures, as you are using mono, there will ber only one portable version..

I, personaly, love your devices, suggest my friends to buy it.. I really want it become a better tool. To make it I want to participate in the development.. I am pretty sure there are others like that..

Please consider making some parts open source..

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi denizcan,

Thank you for your feedback.

At the present moment, the Development Team are busy on a major project so it is difficult to provide frequent updates for the Linux and Mac OS X software.

However, there should more or less be feature parity from the next major release onwards.

The software is proprietary so the best way forward would be to continue to provide feedback via the forum/website form and e-mail which we can pass on to our Development Team for consideration.

Regards,

stfarley

Post by stfarley »

I would like to see this one fixed as well.
If you are controlling a device from the host it is a bit painful that you need to bring the scope to the foreground after every change.

BTW,
Probably not a surprise but the behaviour is the same under OSX 10.14 Mojave.

rkt-tech

Post by rkt-tech »

I am having this same problem. If I click anywhere outside the Picoscope for Mac window, the window disappears and I have to click on the Picoscope icon in the dock to get it back.

This is seriously annoying and pretty much renders Picoscope for Mac unuseful for serious work, where I'm almost always doing something else in another window while monitoring the things that the Picoscope is measuring.

This was first reported at least as far back as early February of this year, perhaps much farther back than that, and at the time we were told that a fix would be coming in the next major release. It is now most of a year later and still no fix.

"It's coming but I can't tell you when or even give you a rough estimate" is no longer an acceptable answer. Please give us some assurance, backed up by evidence, that you are serious about having a useable Mac version of Picoscope.

Thanks...

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

A feature compatible version of PicoScope across Windows, Linux and Mac is in development, but I don't have any dates, and I would not be able to advertise one on an open public forum if I did.

As mentioned on another topic, having produced a multi platform version of our PicoLog 6 software should assure you that this work is active and not just words.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

rkt-tech

Post by rkt-tech »

M>> "...having produced a multi platform version of our PicoLog 6 software should assure you that this work is active and not just words."

Good morning, Martyn.

With all due respect and appreciation for the work your team does... no, it doesn't really assure us of much of anything.

I've read through a lot of the forum discussions from the last couple of years. You were under a lot of pressure, last year about this time or a little later, to come out with a Mac / Linux version (which are closely related). At the time you (generic "you"; I don't recall if it was you personally) said that a Mac/Linux version was under consideration but you didn't know when or if it would see light. Then in about February of this year you announced a beta of a Mac/Linux version, which is still in beta almost a year later (excuse me if I don't have the timeline exactly correct but I'm working from memory here...).

I think we can be excused if we perceive that the Mac beta was brought out mainly so people would stop asking for it for a while and leave you alone about it. And since then you have said, more than once, words to the effect that the Mac/Linux version was under development but your team had more important and critical things to work on and Mac/Linux was a secondary project.

So no, the fact that you have a version of a multi-platform Picolog doesn't really assure me of very much. And every time any one asks when, even a rough estimate, we get "can't tell you" which pretty much knocks out whatever assurance we had remaining.

This disappearing-windows bug is a big, huge thing that takes an otherwise fairly useful tool and destroys most of its usability for serious work. I don't know anyone who uses a USB-scope tool like this in one window and doesn't do other stuff in another windows while watching what's going on in the Picoscope window. It should have been fixed in the first or second alpha build.

Don't get me wrong... as I said earlier, I have a few minor issues with Picoscope for Windows but nothing I can't work around, and I use it every day on both of my 3406D scopes (one MSO and the other not). And my limited experience with Picoscope for Mac shows me that it's mature enough and useful enough for most of the work I do even if it's not fully feature-equivalent to the Windows version yet. For example, right now the most frequent (though not the only) thing I'm using the Mac version for is a spectrum analyzer which it does pretty well. But that disappearing-windows thing negates all of the other good work you have done on that version. Picoscope for Mac can't be considered a daily useful tool until that is fixed.

That "can't tell you when" thing is still unacceptable. If that's some kind of company policy, at some point you need to consider changing the policy.

stfarley

Post by stfarley »

FYI,

This problem seems to have gone away for me. I am not sure what caused it (Perhaps an OS upgrade). I am now on Mojave 10.14.1.

stfarley

Post by stfarley »

FYI I had to restart the app and the issue is back now So it wasn't actually fixed with an OS upgrade.

Torsten Robitzki

Post by Torsten Robitzki »

rkt-tech wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:10 am
This was first reported at least as far back as early February of this year, perhaps much farther back than that, and at the time we were told that a fix would be coming in the next major release. It is now most of a year later and still no fix.
According to my emails, I've reported this bug in October 2016.

granel

Post by granel »

I have this problem too ((((
macOs 10.14.6
may be it issue in PC?