Resolved: No suitable device detected - PicoScope 6.12.9

Having problems ? let us know the details here
PS3405Duser

Resolved: No suitable device detected - PicoScope 6.12.9

Post by PS3405Duser »

I installed PicoScope 6.13.2 Beta on my Windows 10 to confirm the functions (like Math on channels) worked as hoped. They did, so I ordered the scope.
Next, I connected my new PicoScope 3405D to the powered on power supply provided, then to a known working USB 3.0 port of my Windows 10 using the thick blue USB 3.0 cable supplied with the package. However the software could not detect the scope.

Went to the support forums to learn this is a common condition, and followed the instructions, such as remove the beta, remove the device drivers, and re-install version 6.12.9 Stable. All this made no difference. Next, I performed a Windows System Restore back to a time several days before the first installation of any PicoScope software. Then performed a fresh install of 6.12.9 Stable. One time I did see the scope detected, but the scope could not see any data. I used both the internal signal generator on each channel with auto trigger, and used my own known good signal source. The scope does not detect any data. The next time I stopped and restarted the scope software, the hardware was not detected. I think I found a pattern in that if I uninstall the software and device drivers (or if I perform a modify or repair) the scope is detected, but no data is sensed. After that, upon restart, no scope is detected. By “known working USB 3.0 port” I mean it works for my USB 3 hard disk.

When I move the scope to my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS everything works great. The scope and data are detected and can be graphed. Unfortunately the linux version cannot do channel Math (which is essential to my task) so this does not provide a solution. However, this does show the hardware is working.

I have tried every suggestion I can find on the forums concerning getting the Windows 10 software to 8z77work including: re-starting, uninstall, re-install, modify, repair, and System Restore. None of these actions enable the system to work. So, what else can I try?

Here is what I came up with. The Ubuntu 16.04 LTS system on which PicoScope works has an Asus B85 Pro vintage 2015 motherboard, whereas the Windows 10 system on which PicoScope does not work has an Asus P8Z77-M motherboard, vintage 2012 with USB architecture as follows:
ASMedia USB 3.0 supports Boost UASP Mode with two blue ports on the back panel.
Intel Z77 Express Chipset Boost UASP Mode with two blue ports on back panel & mid-board (front).
With the following notes: The USB 3.0 ports only support Windows 7 or later. UASP standard only supports Windows 8.

What I derrive from this is: two of the the back blue USB 3 ports are ASMedia, the other two are Intel Z77 Express Chipset. The front USB 3.0 ports are Intel Z77 Express Chipset. Armed with this I decided to try the PicoScope on the front USB 3.0 ports.
Result as follows: The PicoScope is detected, and I’ve got data. Apparently, the PicoScope drivers do not like the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports, but work on the Intel Z77 Express USB 3.0 port.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Resolved: No suitable device detected - PicoScope 6.12.9

Post by Martyn »

Thank you for the information, and chasing this down, I will pass this onto the developers for further investigation.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager