Perform TDR on elevator cable with Pico9000 series

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
josh_sac

Perform TDR on elevator cable with Pico9000 series

Post by josh_sac »

I would like to determine if any defects in elevator cables when performing regular inspection with TDR. I think the biggest question is how to attach the cable to PICO 9000 unit. Is it necessary that the cross-section of the cable must be exposed to the connector? Thanks!

Pico Stuart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Perform TDR on elevator cable with Pico9000 series

Post by Pico Stuart »

Dear Josh,

Thank you for your inquiry with regard to the TDR functionality of the 9300 series. The PicoScope 9311 oscilloscopes feature built-in step generators for time-domain reflectometry and transmission measurements. The 9311-15 integrates a single rising step generator suited to single-ended TDR/TDT applications, while the 9311‑20 features deskewable rising and falling step generators suited to single-ended and differential measurements. These features can be used to characterize transmission lines, printed circuit traces, connectors and cables with 16 mm resolution for impedance measurements and 4 mm resolution for fault detection.

The PicoScope 9311-15 and 9311-20 generate 2.5 to 7 V steps with 60 ps rise time from built-in step recovery diodes. They are supplied with a comprehensive set of calibrated accessories to support your TDR/TDT measurements, including cables, signal dividers, adaptors, attenuator and reference load and short.

The PicoScope 9311-20 TDR/TDT model includes source deskew with 1 ps resolution and comprehensive calibration, reference plane and measurement functions. Voltage, impedance or reflection coefficient (ρ) can be plotted against time or distance.

In order to assist you further in this matter please could you provide details of your TDR measurement requirements. It would be useful to specific details about the cables you want to test and how they are terminated. This way I can investigate your requirements in detail.

To this end please could you mail support@picotech.com with your contact details and I will then contact you to discuss your application in detail.

Kindest regards,

Stuart Murlis
Applications Engineer