ADC-16 support?

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
Wavelength
User
User

ADC-16 support?

Post by Wavelength »

To whom it may concern,

Is there going to be support for the ADC-16 in the R6 software? This is a great little unit for low level testing.

If so any support for the PP196 or maybe support for an ExpressCard parallel port so I can use this with a laptop?

Thanks
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin
Wavelength Audio

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Gordon,

R6 software supports our newer USB oscilloscopes and, the ADC-16 serial data logger is supported by R5 software only.

The USB parallel port is intended only to enable our legacy parallel port products to be used on computers without a useful parallel port.

If you wish to use the ADC-16 with a laptop, you could use a Serial to USB converter (http://www.picotech.com/usb_data_acquisition.html).

Regards
John

Wavelength
User
User

Post by Wavelength »

John,

Sorry I meant to say ADC-216 which uses the parallel port. Is there going to be support for the ADC-212 and 216 in the R6 software? It seems like you still sell a number of the 212.

Is there anything in the works for a 16 bit USB product?

Also is there any reason why the PP196 does not work in Vista?

Have you tried any of the ExpressCard bus parallel ports with any of these units?

Thanks
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin
Wavelength Audio

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Gordon,

The ADC-216 LPT oscilloscope is supported by R5 software only, however; if you wish to, you may use the ADC-212 with R6 Automotive software.

Our product development plans are constantly under review but remain company confidential until it is appropriate to release information.

I know of no reason why the PP196 should not work with Vista.

We have not tried ExpressCard LPT ports with any of our products and recommend that LPT cards are not used as many customers have reported problems when trying that.

Regards
John

Wavelength
User
User

Post by Wavelength »

John,

Thanks for the reply. I have the 3224 here and needed more resolution than that has so I bought the ADC-216.

I am designing discrete ultra low noise regulators to power ultra low jitter oscillators. Most people use like and HP 356x series signal analyzer which has between 12-14 bits of accuracy down to -150dB.

Presently what I do and maybe you can comment on this is that I take the ADC-16 short the input at the probes take a reading and save that off. Then I attach the probe to the UUT and run the spectrum in the lowest setting usually I think 0-83Hz on the ADC216. I then merge the shorted and the UUT and it gives me a range of -140dB. It should be better than the HP stuff but it lacks really low frequency for some reason as the -3dB point is like 1hz. The 3224 is -3dB at 0.1Hz.

I prefer using the R6 software with the 3224 as the R5 software limits the spectrum to -110dB. The problem with the R6 is it does not have the merge capabilities and is limited to 153Hz.

For really low noise regulators like I am designing in the 20nV to 50nV range the key is the really low frequency stuff in the 0-10Hz range.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I was hoping the new R6 software with it's upsampler or whatever it's doing in the scope mode would be available in the spectrum mode also. But I guess that is not the case.

Thanks
Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin
Wavelength Audio