Start/Stop under signal-Control

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Ken Howell

Start/Stop under signal-Control

Post by Ken Howell »

Hi.

I am trying to measure a signal in the lab derived from a strain-gauge assembly. A roller associated with this essembly is creating cyclic noise, so I would like to synchronise my sampling with the roller shaft-encoder so that by taking the samples at the same part of the cycle, this background can be eliminated - or, at least reduced.

This brings me back to my question of some months ago. Is there a softwear mod' in the pipeline to enable the selection of sample start/stop under the control of one of the spare channels?

I'm convinced that a very great number of users would find such a facility EXTREMELY useful. Just something like the trigger facility of the PICOScope, but working on PICOLog.

Regards,

Ken

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

You are able to use triggers in Picolog under 'Fast Block Mode', but it only allows you to start a run off and the run then lasts for a specified time, you are not able to stop it by an external event.

I do not know if this would be applicable for you as the data collection is only able to collect data for a maximum of 100 seconds.

I have read the previous posts that 'Matthew' answered and the suggestion you made previously has been put in as a wish list for future development, but there is no timescale for this to be implemented, should it get approval.

A possible solution would be to create your own application.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Post by Guest »

Here's a work around that I've used when recording temperatures with the TC-08 and I want to know when an event happens.

Set up a relay that opens/closes on the event. connect a thermocouple with one leg interrupted by the relay. set the channel to millivolts. you will see the channel change millivolts reading when the event happens.

Just record one long file, export to excel and then select the portions you need using the trigger channel. Using excel you can then overlay the portions on top of each other, add, subtract, average, etc.

Rich.