Reboot bug? serial tc-08 w/usb converter

Post any questions about our serial port products
PTroy

Reboot bug? serial tc-08 w/usb converter

Post by PTroy »

We use the serial TC-08 with a USB converter to monitor/log temperatures for a small smokehouse operation. PicoLog 5.10.7 runs under Win98 on a 366mhz celeron with 96mb ram.

When the computer is rebooted with all connections intact, Windows fails to recognize the the usb converter and the TC-08. During the boot process Windows believes it has found new hardware and tries to install a driver for an HID (human interface device). The system will not recognize the unit until I go through the following song and dance:

If I have to reboot the computer I unplug the converter from the usb port, and I unplug the TC-08 from the converter... Then - once the computer has fully booted into Windows - I first replug the usb converter into the usb port, and then plug the TC-08 into the converter...... and everything is fine.

I wouldn't think that PicoTech intends things to work this way....
but, as a linux user at home, I suspect this is one of Bill Gates nefarious plots.

Thanks for your help

Peter Troy

Kieran
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Post by Kieran »

Dear Peter

Thanks for your post.

I believe there is no way to overcome this "issue" when using USB/232 converters. You will need to unplug the USB converter and the TC-08 each time.
You may want to try looking for an updated driver for the USB converter on the manufacturers website.
Perhaps consider purchasing a serial port card for your PC if you require the TC-08 to be permanently attached.

Hope this helps.
Kieran
Pico Technical Support
Forum Moderator

PTroy

Post by PTroy »

Thank you Kieran.

The serial port is in use for a label printer for some of our packaging needs - and with the age of the computer.. it may make more sense to deal with the replugging than to add another I/O card.

"...no way to overcome this "issue" when using USB/232 converters."

Since you specify the converter, would I be right in assuming that the newer USB-only TC-08 does not have this "issue."

Kieran
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Post by Kieran »

Hello Peter,
PTroy wrote:
Since you specify the converter, would I be right in assuming that the newer USB-only TC-08 does not have this "issue."
The USB TC-08 does not use a USB/232 converter, therefore does not have this issue.

Thanks
Kieran
Pico Technical Support
Forum Moderator

stotlzwd
User
User

TC-08

Post by stotlzwd »

Can someone give me the correct sequence for connection of a serial TC-08 with Pico USB adapter. My laptop with XP wond recognize it at all.

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Stotlzwd,

First, you need to install the software for the adapter following the installation instructions provided with the adapter or, follow the instructions from the self starting installation CD.

Once the software is correctly installed, you will need to find out which COM port has been assigned to the device from within device manager, and then use that assignment when configuring the serial TC-08 in PicoLog.

Should you still have difficulties, then please email us at support@picotech.com

Regards
John