Using a DrDAQ and PP196 adaptor remote from the laptop

Post any questions about our parallel port products
oldie
User
User

Post by oldie »

I have two DD100 temperature sensors connected to a DrDAQ. The DrDAQ is connected to a PP196 USB to parallel port adaptor. These, in turn, are connected to my laptop, which has a USB 1.1 port.
Connecting these items with a short USB lead works fine, but I want to use them 16 metres apart. I have tried using a pair of Microlink dLAN duos with USB ports which transmit data along the mains supply. I can't get them to work, so I have decided to try a long cable with a pair of extenders. There are plenty of USB extender sets available, from Maplin, Lindy and others, that use Cat 5E cable, and which claim to work over far greater lengths than I need. Can someone please recommend a set which will work with the DrDAQ/PP196 combination. Also, if there is anyone out there who has successfully used Homeplug/Microlink dLAN type mains wiring transmission systems with the PP196, please let me know.
Thanks

oldie
User
User

Post by oldie »

I am replying to my own post.
With the valuable help of Pico's Mr Ziko, and with the advice of a UK supplier of a USB extender I found on the Internet I have solved my problem. The supplier's product appears to work perfectly using 30 metres of Cat 5 cable. :D If you want to know more, please email me or add a post after this one giving a contact email address. Unless one of Pico's administrators tell me I am allowed to, I will not name the product or the supplier on this thread.