R5_18_0 Speed

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)

R5_18_0 Speed

Post by Guest »

Hi there,

I upgraded to the latest version r5_18_0 but the refresh is extremely slow and it seems like altering the sample rate does absolutely nothing to improve reading of signals or speed of the refresh. I have downgraded to r5_16_2 and it all seems ok: fast refresh and can capture signals in good detail. I tried uninstalling and re-installing r5_18_0 again but the same happened so I have gone back to r5_16_2 again and again it is all fine.

BTW I am running XP SP2 fully up-to-date and it's an ADC-212/50.

Hope you can help

Kind regards

Rob

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hi Rob,

Are you running PicoLog or PicoScope and how are you measuring refresh rate?

Regards
John

rob
User
User

Post by rob »

Hi John,

thanks for the reply,

I'm using Picoscope (haven't tried the new Picolog as I hardly ever use it) and what I mean by refresh is that the scope trace was only updating approximately 4 times a second at 200us time division. The revision r5_16_2 gives me a nice smooth scope trace at this time division.

I was trying to capture a slow pulse lasting about 1/3 of a second using the trigger and r5_18_0 was giving me something that looked like a mountain peak that did not resemble the waveform I was trying to capture, whereas r5_16_2 gives me a nice square wave exactly as I had expected.

Edit: I have tried this on another machine in my office and it responds to the two software versions in the same way.

Cheers

Rob

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Rob,

I have been unable to re-create the slow refresh rate with R5.18.0 at the timebase setting of 200us.

Could you send me copies of the .pss and .psd files for your test runs using both software versions, to support@picotech.com.

Finally, which processor and how much memory does you PC have?

Regards
John

rob
User
User

Post by rob »

Hi John,

very sorry for late reply; I have been off work.

I will sort out the .pss and .psd files for you later today. I will email them to the email address posted with the Subject "FAO John".

My computer is a Pentium 4 3Ghz with 1GB RAM.

Cheers

Rob

Edit: hmmmm having re-installed R5.18.0 again, it seems to be working a lot better now; capturing the desired waveform. However the refresh rate is still slow - I will have to do some futher testing before I email you anything John, this may take a few days due to my current workload. I will keep you updated - cheers

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hi Rob,

I'll look out for your email.

Regards
John

rob
User
User

Post by rob »

Hi John,

It's taken me a while due to my current workload but I have now replicated the problem. I am sending you the files with an explanation now

Cheers

Rob

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Rob,

Data collection is Block mode up to 100ms and Streaming mode from 200ms. Here, the number of samples is traded for system resource, resulting in poorer wave shape.

If you set the scope to operate in Block mode from 'Scope Advanced Options' when at 200ms or above, then your wave shape will improve.

We will investigate the other differences between R5.16.2 and R5.18.0.

Regards
John