More settings for Slow Sampling transition time

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
ulf_l

More settings for Slow Sampling transition time

Post by ulf_l »

Hello

My name is Ulf and I own a Picoscope 2205A. I would like to use it for measurements in audio, car electronics and slow serial streams like LIN or I2C.
For the serial decoding it would be very helpful to have a high sample depth.
But when going from 200ms/div to 100ms/div the the sapling rate goes from 142,9kS/s to 6104kS/s but the number of samples goes from 285714 down to 6104.
200ms_div.JPG
100ms_div.JPG
With the setting in Tools->Properties->Sampling the Slow Sampling transition time could be set to 100ms/div to move this behaviour to happen between 100ms/div to 50ms/div.
100ms_div_SST100ms.JPG
I would like to know if there is a possibility to force a streaming input as long as possible to get the maximum of sampling depth ?
An other option would be to get more settings like 50/20/10ms/div in the Slow Sampling transition time.

Thanks and best regards,
Ulf

Hitesh

Re: More settings for Slow Sampling transition time

Post by Hitesh »

Hello Ulf,

The reason why the number of samples initially dropped to just over 6000 samples when you changed to a collection time of 100 ms/div, is that the device switches to a block mode collection, so the number of samples is constrained by the buffer memory.

You can use the Software Development Kit to achieve up to 1 MS/s on both channels.

I will raise the possibility of adding some extra collection times for streaming mode acquisition but it is likely that this is by design.

Regards,

ulf_l

Post by ulf_l »

Hello Hitesh

Thank you for your answer. So I'm afraid that I misinterpreted the specs https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/2 ... ifications. I thought in the Picoscope6 Software a Samplingrate in the USB streamingmode of 1MSample/s is already possible with a samplingdepth of 100 MSamples. The only benefit of using the SDK would be to increase the possible number of samples to be limited by the memory of the PC.
So I will look forward to a future version of Picoscope6 with some more settings for the Slow Sampling transition time :wink: .

Thanks and best regards,
Ulf

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Ulf,

Just to clarify, a sampling rate of 1 MS/s for both channels is possible in the PicoScope 6 software. The maximum record length of 100 MS is shared between active channels, so with both channels enabled, the maximum record length per channel would be 50 MS.

Try increasing the collection time to 5 s/div with both channels enabled. You should then see a sampling rate of 1 MS/s and 50 MS per channel.

Regards,

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

You als need to set the number of samples to 100M otherwise this wont work.
ps set.jpg
as shown in the red marked part.

P.S. Important to disable serial decoding and math channels during data collection.
You can turn them on again after data collection is done, otherwise the software will limit the max sample rate.
This is the only annoying part of the picoscope software.

Benno

ulf_l

Post by ulf_l »

Hello

Thank's a lot for all your hints. Now I know what to do to get the samplerate and depth I need. Thumbs up :D .

Best regards,
Ulf