gain anything by going from 100 msec/div to 50 on ADC1110?

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
hillp
Active User
Active User

gain anything by going from 100 msec/div to 50 on ADC1110?

Post by hillp »

I'm using 3 channels of the ADC11/10. I don't need the whole 1 second recording I get at 100 msec/division. Would I gain anything by going down to 50 msec/division, say in terms of time resolution or other things?

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Dear HillP,

Is there any particular reason why you wish to use the ADC-11 Data Logger with PicoScope rather than PicoLog for your logging application?

If you were to use PicoLog in 'Real time continuous' mode for example, then you may define the 'Sampling interval', 'No of samples' and select oversampling ('As many readings per sample as possible').

PicoLog will use any system overhead to collect the maximum number of samples possible in the defined time, returning an averaged value.

The extra precision gained from this oversampling is controlled entirely by the software, and will be evident from the numerical value displayed.

Regards
John

hillp
Active User
Active User

Post by hillp »

I never considered using Picolog, as I'd assumed it would operate too slowly. I need to capture and save the voltage trace vs time and then examine it by zooming in both x and y and using the cursors to ascertain time intervals between events. Overlay traces on top of each other to compare them.

If I can do all this with Picolog I'll give it a try.