5242B powering / macbook pro

Which product is right for your exact requirements
packo
User
User

5242B powering / macbook pro

Post by packo »

Hello,

I am considering purchasing the picoscope 5242B and I would like to use it powered by usb. From the specs I can see that a dual usb connection is needed, however there is no specification on the dual usb cable length.

My concern is that my macbook pro (13-inch, Early 2015) offers only two usb ports on the opposite sides (around 36cm apart). Will this work?

If not, what if I use a short usb cable (approx. 0.5 meters), will this suffice for powering the picoscope? (I had some problems powering hard disks with usb extension cables in the past)

I have also looked at thunderbolt2 to usb3 interfaces, however none provide any specs regarding provided power and I suppose they will not provide enough power for the picoscope.

Thank you!

NeilH
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Re: 5242B powering / macbook pro

Post by NeilH »

Hi, the USB 2.0 Y cable has about 16cm of cable between the two USB type A plugs.

I cant see a reason why a thunderbolt 2 to usb3 converter would be a problem for plugging the into as they should allow the device to draw power through it as normal but depending on how it works it may only function with the data line only rather than the power only line.

It may also be possible to power a 5242B with only a single USB connection but I'm not sure about this on a Mac.

Another solution with the Y-cable could be to use a USB charger (like a phone charger plug) for the power usb plug to provide extra power if needed.
Neil
Technical Support Engineer

packo
User
User

Re: 5242B powering / macbook pro

Post by packo »

Thank you for the quick and informative reply! i will post here my experience