Spectrum analysis of Picolog data in Picoscope

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
toby
User
User

Spectrum analysis of Picolog data in Picoscope

Post by toby »

hi
I've just used Picoscope 3204 for the first time.
I ran some real time spectral anaylses on the measured signal and also recorded data over various periods with Picolog.
There doesn't seem to be a great deal of control over spectral anaylsys parameters other than x axis timescale and I'm keen to do spectral analysis of the recorded data (taken over various timescales with various sample rates).
The problem is I can't see how to read the Picolog file in Picoscope.
I'd be grateful for your advice.
R

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Toby,

PicoLog and PicoScope are separate and different programme applications whose data files are not interchangable.

If you wish to perform spectral analysis then, I would recommend that you you use PicoScope 6.

Regards
John

toby
User
User

Post by toby »

Thanks John for your reply.
If I understand correctly then I can use Picoscope 6 witrh the 3204 and that this software will provide greater control over spectral analysis parameters.
Will Picoscope 6 also be able to read the Picolog data?
I ask as I recorded this data at a location several hundered miles from home and I won't have the opportunity to re-record in the foreseeable future.
If Picolog 6 can analyse this data then there's no problem: otherwise I'd appreciate if you could advise me of the options available.
thanks
Toby

picojohn
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by picojohn »

Hello Toby,

As explained, the data files from the two different applications are not interchangable, and therefore, PicoScope 6 will not read PicoLog data.

PicoScope 6 will work with the PicoScope 3204 and, provides a useful spectrum analyser. However, you need to perform the analysis on actual signals.

If you are able to write your own software for something like MatLab or Labview and save the PicoLog files in a .csv or .txt format for example, then it might be possible to perform an FFT on the data but, I can offer you no assistance with that.

Regards
John

toby
User
User

Post by toby »

Ok John
I'll try to find another application to perform spectral analysis as you suggest.
thanks.
Toby