No waveform on screen

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
PeterHer

No waveform on screen

Post by PeterHer »

Hi All,

I just bought my first Picoscoop. I have 3406D MSO and PicoScoop 6.12.7.2687.
Windows 10 64 bit ent. Connected to USB 3.0.
If I connect the scoop to my computer I see a waveform on screen. As soon as I change one of the settings, like 2 ms/div to 5 ms/div or set scale from auto to 1V the wave disappears and I am not able to get it back. The only thing I can do is unplug the USB and pulg it in again. Auto setup en restoring the factory settings doesn't help.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Regards,
Peter

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No waveform on screen

Post by Martyn »

Are you plugged into a USB2 or USB3 port on the PC ?

Do you have the power adapter plugged in ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

PeterHer

Post by PeterHer »

I use a USB 3.0 connection and the power adaptor is plugged in.

PeterHer

Post by PeterHer »

When I plugin the scoop the led becomes red. After a few secondes the led turns green. It's blinking fast. After changing the timesetting in the software, the green led goes out and that's it. I still can see what scoop is connected via Help - About PicoScoop 6.
So there still is a connection. Restarting the software doesn't change a thing. I really need to unplug the USB cable. Will the trace.xml be of any help to you?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Yes the trace file may be useful, as would a psdata file when it appears to be waiting for data.
Martyn

PeterHer

Post by PeterHer »

I just plugged the scoop into a USB 2.0 port. As what I can see for now is that the scoop is working. After changing some of the settings the waveform is still on screen. Maybe the USB3 port on my computer isn't working right. I have an Asus Sabertooth 99FX r1.0 motherboard.
Here the specs. ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller : 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board).
Does perform the PicoScoop software better on a USB3 port? If yes, maybe I can install an other internal USB3.0 card. Maybe using another USB3.0 card solves the problem.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Check that you have the latest available manufacturers drivers for the USB ports, we have seen occasional issues.

In general use most people would not notice a visual difference between using USB2 and USB3, so it would depend upon the type of tests you are using your scope for.
Martyn

PeterHer

Post by PeterHer »

I replaced the USB 3.0 Win 10 driver (2017) with the one available (2014) on Asus website.
Everything works fine now, as far as I can see.
Thank you.