PicoScope oscilloscope for Dirty Electricity

Which product is right for your exact requirements
populusnigra
Active User
Active User

PicoScope oscilloscope for Dirty Electricity

Post by populusnigra »

Dear PicoScope team,
I'm really interested in purchasing a PicoScope oscilloscope and I wonder which bandwidth I need for analyzing inteference due to high frequency transients present in power lines (also call "dirty electricity"). I would like to see and analyze power line 50 Hz frequency from home outlets along with inteference due to high frequency transients produced by compact fluorescent light bulbs, PLC network adapters, fluorescent lights, etc. whose frequencies can be between 2 kHz up to 1 MHz. Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Andrei

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoScope oscilloscope for Dirty Electricity

Post by alan »

Hi. The PicoScope 4444 is pretty much perfect for this. The application at the top of this page is for 3 phase but shows the idea https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/4 ... plications

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Considering the link you provided the PicoScope 4444 seems perfectly suited for evaluating Dirty Electricity. Now, when it comes to the probes needed for such a task I think I need two TA300 probes since they need to be connected to an electrical outlet, are they the right probes?. But also since the possibility of capturing human heartbeat is quite interesting I wonder which probe I need for that. Regards,
Andrei

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It depends exactly what you are looking to measure. The TA300 are current probes, for voltage the PicoConnect 442 would be a better fit.

With regards to heartbeat, it would depend upon the signal levels you are looking to measure.

I would suggest you email support@picotech.co to discuss these in more detail
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

populusnigra
Active User
Active User

Post by populusnigra »

OK. Thanks for reply. I will contact your support team asking for details.
Best Regards,