D9 to BNC adaptor

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
jtk

D9 to BNC adaptor

Post by jtk »

Hello,

Just bought the new 4444 scope.
If I want to make differential measurement using ordinary 4 mm banana test leads, which adaptor should I use?
TA271 or TA299?
And a BNC to banana adaptor after that of course.

jtk

Re: D9 to BNC adaptor

Post by jtk »

I suppose I need to use the D9 to double BNC and connect my signal between the two center leads, leaving the shields unconnected.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

What signals are you trying to measure ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

jtk

Post by jtk »

This is just a general question. I do not want to connect my test object to ground via the scope. That was the reason that I bought the 4444.

jtk

Post by jtk »

Another question related to this.

I have several AC clamp on probes.
I tested to measure starting current of a motor, using the 200 A range which gives 1 mV/A.
I was using the D9 to single BNC adaptor and adaptor from BNC to banana plug. Connected the probe to the banana side of the BNC to banana adaptor.
I noticed a lot of noise in the signal.
My question is if the results would be better if I use D9 to double BNC adaptor and connect the probe to the two positive banana connections and leave the negatives unconnected.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Could you post a psdata file with an example of the noise. These are 12/14 bit, fast sampling scopes, so can often see more than you are used to.

We have now added connection diagrams to the probe pages to show where the connections go TA271 and TA299 so you can see the difference with using the dual and single BNC connections.
Martyn

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

Martyn wrote:We have now added connection diagrams to the probe pages to show where the connections go TA271 and TA299 so you can see the difference with using the dual and single BNC connections.
It would be nice to have the pin numbers and signals of the DB9 connector documented also.
I could not find it in the 4444 documentation.

Benno

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This information is currently not available, for third party probes you need to use the 9 way to BNC adaptors.
Martyn