Advanced User
Advanced User

Picoscope 2000 not recognized

Post by Glovisol »

When plugging my Picoscope 2000 into the USB port of my PC, I get the message:

"NO SUITABLE DEVICE FOUND"

&

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE A DEMO DEVICE?"

replying "NO" the system starts looking for the Picoscope indefinitely and then crashes, so that I have to go to the W7 activity panel to turn Picolog off.

I suspesct failure in the Picoscope itself.Tried changing the USB cable to no avail...any suggestion?

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Picoscope 2000 not recognized

Post by Glovisol »

FALSE ALARM........................

I got suspicious and tried the Picoscope 2000 on another W7 PC: it worked PERFECTLY!!

I shall now investigate what got wrong with the other PC and report. Both PC's are IBM /LENOVO X61 laptops with W7 OS.

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

I activated a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and sure enough I found two viruses:

SOFTWARE BUNDLER
and
RANSOM

The purpose of the Ransom virus is to block your PC and/or data to make you pay a ransom. Even if you instantly switch the PC off and unplug the USB HD's/dongles, some files may be damaged. If you then rebuild the OS with stored system backup, parts of the virus in the USB HD's /dongles can still be alive and will block the Serial Monitor as described, without any further action. The best procedure is to clean with antivirus (Microsoft Security is excellent) all storage media.

Virus data below.

Ransom: Win32/Urausy.C

Also detected as: Win32/Injector.ZPB (ESET), BackDoor.Andromeda.22 (Dr.Web), Mal/EncPk-AFN (Sophos), PWS-Zbot.gen.anm (McAfee), TROJ_LOCKSCRN.SM (Trend Micro), Crypt.BBQL (AVG), Trojan.Win32.Buzus (Ikarus), Trojan.Win32.Buzus.mssp (Kaspersky), Trojan.Win32.Inject.ewxm (Kaspersky), Trojan/Win32.Zbot (AhnLab), W32/Injector.HB (Command), W32/Urausy.B (Norman).

I had previously found that Arduino Serial Communications were blocked as well !!

I plan to re-install the entire system via a stored image, but before doing this, I have de-installed PICOSCOPE, then re-installed it from the standard CD and presto....Picoscope 2000 is fully operative again.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Thank you for updating us.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager