sourcing a Pico USB parallel adapter

Post any questions about our parallel port products
mogwopjr

sourcing a Pico USB parallel adapter

Post by mogwopjr »

Hi :) I have recently acquired an ADC-200 with a parallel interface. It did not come with a USB Parallel adapter.

As these adapters are no longer available on the picotech.com website, is there an alternate way to acquire a new adapter? If no, are schematics available to make one on my own? Is it possible or does the electronic design easily allow someone to modify the electroncs of the interface on the ADC-200 to add in a RS232/USB interface?

I have read on the forum that pcmcia to parallel adapters are not supported, as well as 3rd party USB to parallel adapters do not work.

I suppose in the end my big question is, what are my options at this time to allow the ADC-200 to connect to a PC with currently no parallel port?

Thank you for your time,
Travis

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: sourcing a Pico USB parallel adapter

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
We cannot offer any real solution. We used to have a USB to parallel converter but are sold out (PP196):-
http://www.picotech.com/usb_parallel_port.html
I am afraid that no other USB to parallel converter will work, the interface is non-standard. We have stopped making our own converter because we cannot obtain the necessary integrated circuit any more. You can only use an old PC with a parallel port or buy a new USB scope, sorry.
Regards,
PeterF.

Post by Guest »

What a shame - I have the same issue

Not going to buy a new USB scope so another victim of the digital revolution
:(

RCBasher
User
User

Post by RCBasher »

The easiest way around the problem is to add a PCI or PCI-E card. I have one (one RS232 + Parallel) which only cost £10. EDIT: £33

It got me going under Win 7 -32 bit with my ADC200, but no solution for 64bit Windows though :(
Last edited by RCBasher on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
It looks like I may be wrong and some cards will work then! Up to now we have not had any success with ad-on cards but I have had a report of a PCMCIA to parallel adapter working and now this. It may be that our latest software version is better for this. Can anyone who gets a parallel card working please let us know and detail the exact make of card, scope and software level of PicoScope5? We are happy to publicise any workable solutions.
Regards,
PeterF.

RCBasher
User
User

Post by RCBasher »

First an apology, my recollection of the price was way off :oops: The PCIe card was £33 and bought via ebay.co.uk. They are still listed under item number 220449191466. As the description says, it is a "real Parallel Port, not USB to Parallel."
The Chip is Oxford OXPCIe952 and also includes an RS232 port.

I'm using it in a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard (Intel X58 + ICH10R chipset), running Windows 7 RC 32 bit.

Picoscope s/w is 5.20.08 and works just fine with my ADC200-100

Hope this helps.

Frank

PS: I suspect the cheaper PCI Parallel only card at £17.49 will probably work just as well as it also uses an Oxford chip

mogwopjr

Post by mogwopjr »

Wow! Thanks for the replys :)

Tom from over at Autonerdz had a PP196 and was willing to let it go. Thanks Tom!

On the other hand, its great to know there are other options still!

Thank you!

JRHalliday7

Post by JRHalliday7 »

I've just had some success with a PCMCIA card which I bought from (I think) Stonehill Technologies Ebay shop. I thought it didn't work, but was ok with parallel printers, so had no complaint at about £16.50. I recently got a docking station and it didn't want to work with the built in port. I found then the ADC 200 was having problems with a computer with a port on the motherboard, so tried another cable I have, and with playing about with the laptop it's working through the PCMCIA. I think it may have needed be to booted up with it in. The computer is an HP Compaq 6715b laptop. The BIOS is pretty well hidden and automatic, so there is almost nothing to set or see.

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
Just to bring everything up to date, if you are running version R5.21.0 (or later) of PicoLog or PicoScope5, then most plug-in, PCI, PCI-Express & PCMCIA (Cardbus) parallel adapter cards will now work with our parallel port products. When using an adapter card with a laptop, the card has to be inserted in the laptop slot before boot in order to be recognised by our software.
If R5.21.0 is installed, then the ADC-212 scope can also be used running under PicoScope6 (automotive only) with an adapter card.
At present, it is still the situation that no USB to Parallel card will work with our parallel port devices.
Regards,
PeterF.

Amdy

Post by Amdy »

Has the current software been tested with an ExpressCard to Parallel adapter? I have an ADC-200.

thanks, Andy

walge

Post by walge »

Hi,

I have the same problem with a Dell laptop and a old ADC212.
I found a solution with docking station but, with Spectrum analyzer, I got spuries at 50 Hz (-60 dB) and multiple (100, 150, 200 Hz, etc.).
The problema comes from pc, it has the power from Ac adapter; I have put a battery for ADC but nothing changes.
Do you think wich is the solution?
To work only with batterie for pc and ADC?

Bye

Walter

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
An Express card has been tested to work as well. Just make sure it is plugged in when you boot the Laptop so it is recognised as present by our software.
We cannot guarantee it works with every version of docking station. The problem with 50Hz harmonics sounds like a laptop hardware problem, we can't help there. probably running on battery is your only option.
Regards,
Peterf.

Post by Guest »

Hi PeterF,

thanks for answer.
Please let me know some brand of Express card I can try to use.

Bye

Walter

PeterF
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by PeterF »

Hi,
So far, we have only been able to to get our parallel products working using plug-in PCI or PCI-Express cards in desktop PCs and PCMCIA or Express cards in laptops.
If you are using Windows XP or later you should be using the latest version of PicoScope5/PicoLog, R5.21.1, available here on our website:-
http://www.picotech.com/software.html

Does your laptop have an Express card slot?
http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 66220.html

or a PCMCIA card slot?
http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 61612.html

You have to have the card plugged in when the laptop starts.
(The cards above are just for illustration, and although they work, they are just some of many available.)
Regards,
PeterF.

jazavac

Post by jazavac »

Hi
I'm using DrDAQ and my question is, does it work on Windows7 with Parallel to PCMCIA adapter?

Thanks and Regards,
J. J.